VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Soft Chassis Parts

RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Soft Chassis Parts Empty Soft Chassis Parts

Post by RF Man Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:01 am

Since I'm new to the Econoline world, I thought I'd ask. I'm starting the complete rebuild on my 61 Econo Pickup. I am planning on starting on the bottom and working my way up. In looking at Napa Auto Parts, it appears that they have most, if not all of the soft rubber parts for the entire suspension. It also appears that if I search 65 rather than 61, they show more parts available. First question, are all of the 61/65 parts interchangeable? My truck appears to be the heavier suspension---GVW 4100. Looking for words of wisdom. Anything to watch out for in using NAPA parts. I realize they're China made, but what parts are going to have to be obtained through specialty shops, i.e. Macs, etc. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Mike
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Soft Chassis Parts Empty Re: Soft Chassis Parts

Post by econopoor Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:59 am

Econolines are broken down into two groups. 61 - 64 and 65 - 67. That's when things really changed. But most all the parts will still interchange. Motor mounts and trans mounts are different. Suspension stuff is mostly the same. The front brake hoses changed because the sway bars changed. Heaters changed. Early 61 and 62's all used the same suspension. GVW's were set by the tires that were installed. 4 ply = 1/2 ton, 6 ply = 3/4 ton and 8 ply = 1 ton. It was in 63 when the Heavy Duty option was introduced that springs started getting heavier.

Duane in Tennessee

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Spring Bushings are out there and so is the front sway bay bushings and sway bar tie bushings ... Old Skool knows where to get them ... my front sway bar bushings are polyurethane with some handy grease fittings in them ... if your shift rods slapping away there are some dirt cheap and convenient bushings available with Ted Johns ... these same bushings happen to fit the battery box cable holes as well ... rubber pedal stuff likely Carpenters or Macs window door rubber the same ... the rubber fuel line bushings down in the cross frame rail partitions are out there but I can't recall where ... dang blast ...

yikes
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:38 am

Thanks guys---I know you will be able to guide me in the right direction on parts. I've always been partial to ESPO Springs and Things---I've had great luck with them--I just was surprised at how much was on NAPA's web site. I know I'll have dozens more questions and am happy I found this site.

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:32 am