VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures)

FezFro
    FezFro

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2013-08-24

am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures) Empty am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures)

Post by FezFro Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:31 pm

So I've some questions hoping someone can help me learn more about what I'm dealing with here.

First, here's a general picture of the dog house components with an arrow pointing towards the front of the the van, just for reference:

am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures) AvO5hsB

Second, I'm not quite sure what this is for. The cap says " fill to proper level, and use approved fluids only" and the dipstick show low and high levels in hot conditions on one side, and the cold levels on the other side. What is it for? What type of fluids should I use to fill it, since its empty.
    am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures) MzXZpWl

Third, I've been told the van has a power steering in it, but it sure doesn't feel like it when trying to steer it. I noticed that I might be missing some kinda of belts, shown in red dashes in the picture below. Can someone tell me what is it for?
    am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures) 6PUQLQE

Thank you, friends!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures) Empty Re: am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures)

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:45 pm

That is the power steering pump,,,,,,,,it should have a belt on it to turn it,,,,,,,uses Power Steering Fluid,,,,,,,and it probably has a leak so  be ready for a puddle under the van when you put some in it,,,,,that other pulley is  probably the adjuster pulley for the air conditioning compressor belt,,,,,
    FezFro
    FezFro

am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures) Empty Re: am I missing a blet in here+questions about parts(pictures)

Post by FezFro Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:43 pm

So to be clear..
    The dashed pulley is for the power steering, and the one next to it is for the AC. And would something like http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/40885297?&veh=mweb work as a PSF?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:45 am

the power steering has a belt on it near the question mark.
    the other pulleys are for the ac. belts. both are rare on these vans most don't have either.
    you need a book. i would suggest finding a good auto parts store like napa that has employees over 50 years old for help.it will be trial and error with some returns to find the correct belts or maybe a service shop that would give you advice for free. we will help where we can but i don't have power steering or ac, so my help is limited, the power steering is called steering assist. not even the dealer will help you with out part numbers,

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:34 am

I had a steering assist and after I drove an explorer motor home (a1o8) with this option I sold it. It was the classic chrysler I cant feel the road over powered power steering. I know a little about them and finding parts will be hard! I would imagine the previous owner removed the belt after a seal started to leak. That seams to be one of the biggest problems with these units. If it does leak,and you really want power assist . Parker hydraulics may be able to match up your pistons with something they have. Or try a local heavy equipment or farm tractor dealer that has a good parts shop. Good luck! Ben
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:45 am

The power steering pump is the cap with the dipstick  on it,,,,,all the old pumps take  plain old power steering fluid,,,,,,you might as well get it from the 99 cents store,,,,it might just leak all out anyways,,,,,,,newer cars take special types,,,,,,is the pulley turning when you crank the engine,,,,,,,the silver thing is the A/C compressor,,,,,,that system is surely dead and I would not worry about getting a belt,,,,,,but if you want to, wrap a rope around the 3 pulleys and measure how long it is,,,,,,I got a book that tells you belt numbers by how many inches long they are,,,,,,,in case you cant find a listing for that belt,,,,,,,,,
    FezFro
    FezFro

Post by FezFro Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:33 am

Helpful info! Thank you for sharing.
    @dix: Gotcha. the AC unit needs some work. I've the parts but still need to remount pretty much all of it.I guess I got the fancy one. haha. I don't mind spending time learning more about it though. It's fun stuff!
    @Benwah: could you elaborate on your experience with the steering assist., "feel the road"? Wouldn't it be more shaky on highways? last time I drove it (without SA), it was shaky on 40mph+ (which could be just too much free play, idk yet), but it was a b* to parallel park it in San Francisco.
    @donivan65: You're right on that one. I'll let you know if I needed the part number (trying to get it to drive first, then worry about the AC).
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:19 am

if you have shake in the steering i'd start with looking at the different tierods & the end link, or it may be the king pins.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:44 pm