VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
deadponies
EcoPU
steelrat
7 posters

1965 Mercury Econoline steering/ alignment

steelrat
    steelrat

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2014-11-24

1965 Mercury Econoline steering/ alignment  Empty 1965 Mercury Econoline steering/ alignment

Post by steelrat Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi all,
    Driving the newly acquired van was interesting. It felt like it was wandering all over the road. At this point I am not sure if it is an alignment issue or steering play. How do I best assess this? It has new tires on it with less than 800 miles on them.
    Thanks
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

1965 Mercury Econoline steering/ alignment  Empty Re: 1965 Mercury Econoline steering/ alignment

Post by EcoPU Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:52 am

This thread might help -

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t27103-play-in-steering-wheel?highlight=steering

by donivan65 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm
    Rock the steering wheel back and forth through the looseness and look at the pitman arm that is coming out of the steering box under the truck,,,,,if it is moving, the problem is the drag link or tie rods, kingpins or bearings,,,,,if nothing is moving under the truck, the problem is in the steering box and there is an adjustment on it and you can see if adjusting it tightens up that old wornout steering box.....
    steelrat
    steelrat

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2014-11-24

1965 Mercury Econoline steering/ alignment  Empty Re: 1965 Mercury Econoline steering/ alignment

Post by steelrat Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:13 pm

thanks so much EcoPU. will get under the Mercury ASAP for a look.
    deadponies
    deadponies

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2013-09-08

Post by deadponies Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Since the early doesn't have p/s. just sit in the seat and lightly turn the steering wheel back and forth. If everything is pretty tight, then it's your Toe-in. That's the only thing you can adjust w/o bending the axle.
    If there's play in the linkage you'll feel when all the slack is taken up. Then it takes 2, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you check at the pitman arm for play, If the pitman arm is not moving , then it's in your steering box. If it is moving, check all of the joints. Just place a finger on the ball of the joint, you'll feel it.
    The box does have an adjustment, But don't adjust it with steering centered. That's where all the wear is. Common mistake that leads to steering bind. Have both wheels off the ground, turn steering lock to lock. Making small adjustments, 1/4 to 1/2 turn. You'll feel the steering start to get harder at full turn. Stop there, if there is still play while box is centered, then you need a new/rebuilt steering box. You'll have a little no matter what.
    To check the king pins, jack up 1 wheel under the axle. Use a pry bar under the tire and w/one hand on top of the wheel, pull up on the pry bar. The wheel will rock at the pin if bad, or move up and down if king pin bearing is crushed.
    If no movement at the pin, but you have movement, it's usually the wheel bearings.
    Don't just adjust them, pop the outer bearing cone out (smallest bearing) and clean it. If it's not bright and shiny, replace it. Inner bearing your going to need to replace the seal to check it.
    The Blue Box
    The Blue Box

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2016-12-08

Post by The Blue Box Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:00 am

Sounds like an alignment issue. Even with my worn to shit box with about 2 inches of play its easy to keep in a straight line. Id start by taking it to an alignment shop or add incremental tow in amounts until it feels right
    Oscarm
    Oscarm

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

Post by Oscarm Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Mine was a notorious 'wanderer'....everything tight enough, then discovered the steering box mounting bolts were loose (Doooh!)....Tightened them up, and all is good (for a truck that's over 50 years old).
    Previously, PO also had monkeyed with the springs and axle..leaving out the axle caster shims. Created correct shims, and ended up with a 'right on' 5.3 degrees caster. Toe in 0.6 degrees and camber
    at 0.1 degrees. Drives / steers nice now...just wishing for power steering...
    matchstickcustoms
    matchstickcustoms

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2019-02-16

Post by matchstickcustoms Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Don't forget the important of caster. This is the angle at which the axle is leaned backwards. If you had a caster wheel from a shopping cart vertical it would spin around easily. If you leaned the pivot backwards the wheel would stay in a straight line. As springs wear it may require wedges which are available from Speedway Motors for a low price to adjust axle angle. The figure is 7 degrees. Dragsters run 10-15 to help keep them in a straight line as the rip down the strip.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Is there an easy way to measure the caster as the van sits? I am getting wear on the outside of my front tires but the kingpins and alignment are good.
    matchstickcustoms
    matchstickcustoms

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2019-02-16

Post by matchstickcustoms Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:05 pm

yes it is a measurement for loaded suspension so you can place a magnetic angle finder on the axle to see how far it is leaned back if at all. The theoretical best place to measure from is the spring pad however that will be occupied by the spring. The mold parting lines on the axle make a crappy surface however if you ground a spot on the top of the i-beam to be "flat" (relative term) and at least used that as a reference you could then make documented changes forward or backward of where you were sitting to see if it is an improvement even if you can't from a true metrological standpoint say what degree it's actually sitting at.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Ok, I think I've got. I'm going to check it out. Thanks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:16 pm