VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
kookykrispy
vanny
K-Noods68
7 posters

mattress size

K-Noods68
    K-Noods68

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2014-05-22

mattress size Empty mattress size

Post by K-Noods68 Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, what size bed is everyone using in the back of their rigs? Do you use a mattress, foam blocks, or couch cushions?

I checked out an old Chevy 108 back in August, and the couple said they had a queen mattress in theirs at one time. I figured that would take up the the majority of the interior

I'm looking to do one of those walls that separates the bed from the rest of the interior.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

mattress size Empty Re: mattress size

Post by vanny Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:59 am

I think most guys use some sort of foam especially if your just using the rear portion of the van. It would be hard to find a ready made mattress to fit. With foam, you can cut to any size you'd like and if you know someone handy with sewing skills, you could have it covered with something that suits your taste and goes with the interior scheme. I'm sure there'll be many people who will be able to give you some ideas on here.

Here's an old post on the subject about fold down seats that some guys use cause then they fold up for seating, dual purpose.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t13871-mattress-ideas-for-the-van?highlight=mattress

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:01 am

I keep my interior basically stock, because I often use my vans for hauling stuff. I have never felt the need to build in any kind of permanent 'custom van' interior with a bed and all that. Really how many nights a year are you actually sleeping in your van? Maybe once or twice? When camping season comes, I use a nice 4x6 area rug in the front, just behind the doghouse and then also a full size futon mattress back there, which fits just fine. You can fold it up against the back doors for traveling/seating, and then pull it flat when you are at your campsite. I have simple window curtains on velcro, and a shower curtain rod behind the front seats, with curtains for privacy. Works great! Then the other 9 months out of the year, pull the futon out of it, and my van is back to being used for hauling stuff in it.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:40 am

I like the idea of keeping the van duel pourposed. When I had a van, I made the bed go from drivers seat to rear door, with the center section that raised for a table. I'm 6 feet tall and sleeping side ways in a van cramps my neck.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 am

In the thread I attached earlier, there is a link within the thread to a company that sells different types of futons that look pretty nice. Worth a peek if your in the market for something on that idea.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:49 am

I'm in agreement with KK here, I don't want a permanent bed in the back, I use the van for hauling other things. But if I do want to camp and sleep in it, there are nice full size inflatable air matresses at the camping store. Easy set up and stow when not in use.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:49 pm

my bed is 65'' wide x 69'' long. it's two pieces from a camper that I got from work. theyre about 8'' thick. they work awesome and are super comfy. if I want to haul something, I can turn the cushions sideways,stack and squish them in between the walls, then I fold the part of the bed sticking past the side doors back towards the rear. it leaves a lot of space to haul.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:16 pm

here's a couple pics of the install, with my slave labor. haha..
    mattress size Vanbed21

the support is attached with carriage bolts and wingnuts. it's removable, but I usually don't take it off.

mattress size Vanbed22

mattress size Vanbed23

and , here's the new bed. . . . .

mattress size Vanbed24

and . . . . the old bed that I put in this spring. the one that made my knees want to fall off. haha.

mattress size Vanbed25
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:24 am

Look into a hospital bed mattress. I have two put together in my motor coach and they are extremely comfortable. I have access as I live in a town with the worlds largest hospital bed manufacturer. But you may be able to score one or two someplace as well. They have gotten really hi-tech with pressure zones, etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:01 pm