VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

360 Magnum Engine into a 67

busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Empty 360 Magnum Engine into a 67

Post by busman78 Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Having a little engine mount issue getting the 360 installed. The original engine for this van was a slant six. The engine I bought did not have engine mounts. I do have the V8 engine hangers to the frame.

Ended up with two sets of engine mounts, first is a set of LA mounts which won't work, primarily on the right side, seems the Magnum is a ear shy of a bolt up on that side. Also have a set of 360 LA truck mounts, they use a narrow rubber isolator, so with that I have a few questions for anybody that has done this:

Do the mounts go in front of or behind the ears, I suspect behind, but?

Did you grind the lip where the isolator sits so that the new 360 isolator lays flat?

Did you have to drill a new hole for the lower isolator stud in the right side hanger?

Got any pictures?

busman78
    busman78

360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Empty Re: 360 Magnum Engine into a 67

Post by busman78 Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:01 am

Anybody? Spent most of Saturday and Sunday trying to get the engine installed, no go, numerous swaps from one side to the other with brackets and isolators, made little difference, end up about 1" from dropping in, if the right side is in the left is out, if left side in the the right won't go in, get both centered up and isolator studs jam up trying to drop in.

So if any of you that have dropped a magnum in one of these vans has a suggestion I would love to hear it.
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Post by dodge A-108 Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 am

busman78 wrote:Having a little engine mount issue getting the 360 installed. The original engine for this van was a slant six. The engine I bought did not have engine mounts. I do have the V8 engine hangers to the frame.

Ended up with two sets of engine mounts, first is a set of LA mounts which won't work, primarily on the right side, seems the Magnum is a ear shy of a bolt up on that side. Also have a set of 360 LA truck mounts, they use a narrow rubber isolator, so with that I have a few questions for anybody that has done this:

Do the mounts go in front of or behind the ears, I suspect behind, but?

Did you grind the lip where the isolator sits so that the new 360 isolator lays flat?

Did you have to drill a new hole for the lower isolator stud in the right side hanger?

Got any pictures?
    no pics but.you can make a spacer to overcome the missing lug on the engine.and then use 318 mounts on the 360
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 pm

It sounds like you had it. The slots in the engine brackets do tend to be too short to just allow the isolater studs to slip in. You usually have to loosen the lower nut and tilt the isolater to a more vertical to allow them to drop in. Or loosen the top if the isloater is on the engine bracket and move the isolater around to align with the body bracket. Both mean something is jiggling these while all that weight is hanging and being lowered, so be careful and hopefully a broomstick or something else is used to prevent your hands from being in there.
    The 318 brackets are the same as 340/360 on the right, different on the left ON CARS.
    http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=187599
    The cars and trucks the brackets go behind the engine ears. On the A vans, one goes in front, the other behind.
    Cars are short, about 1" from the isolater plane to the holes. See first link. Trucks are taller, more like 3". This is a BB, but you get the idea.
    http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2896/4421/32239710021_large.jpg
    A-100s are about as short as cars. I haven't measured them.

More pics..
    http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=183126

All of these links were found by typing in "Small block mopar engine mount brackets" in Google Images....

busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 am

Deleted this entry until the engine is installed, Issues with mounts continues.

Last edited by busman78 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Begging and groveling for pictures of the right and left mounts and isolators of a 360 Magnum engine installed in one of these early vans. The LA (318) mounts with original isolators will not even come close to fitting in the holes by several inches.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:13 am

Got it, engine now installed, learned quite a few things as to which mounts & isolators to use and which to avoid. This is what worked, what was used and pictures to go with it.

Engine mount brackets & Isolators (rubber) from a V8 A Series Van, the 360 Magnum is identical in size toi the LA series 360 engine but has different ears for bolting the right side bracket on, it is missing the lower forward ear. This will require adding a tab of matrial to the bracket as pictured below. This has not been ground down yet. I used a piece cut from a later model Dodge van bracket.
    360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0313
    360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0314

For the left side you will need to use some washers or make a spacer for the attachment or the rear bracket to the block ear.
    360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0315

While trying to install I found it easier to get the left side mounted, set the engine down, put the lower isolator nut on with just a few thread, raise the engine just enough to set the right side mount and isolator in position, install the hardware leaving it a little loose, lower the engine, finish tightening. I did it in that order since I am working alone.

360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0316

360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0317
    360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0318

Now what will not work, if anybody tries to sell you 70's and later 360 LA Truck & Van engine mount brackets and in the same sentence tell you they will work, they are trying to fleece your wallet. Yes they will bolt up, the same year period isolators will drop right into the frame hangers giving the impression that you have a nice install. You don't, the engine is just at 1" higher than it should be.
    360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0320
    360 Magnum Engine into a 67 Img_0322

I do encourage any of the others on this site that have done a Magnum swap to chime in and add pictures.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 pm