VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Steering box adjustment ?

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Steering box adjustment ? Empty Steering box adjustment ?

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:19 am

I've got a few questions about steering box adjustment.  I've read the service manual.  Which says to remove the arm at the box. Is a pitman arm removal tool needed for this ?
    Then center the gear box OK, then turn ADJ screw in..Till it stops? I guess.
     But not quite sure about the torque setting thing..any help here  Please.

Last edited by rustytoolss on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info)
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Steering box adjustment ? Empty Re: Steering box adjustment ?

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 am

OK so do you adjust the torque setting with the wheels off the ground ? I'm somewhat lost here. And I guess the horn button has to be taken off
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Never read the manual on that, all I did was adjust the screw untill the play was gone, then backed it out just a bit so it was not to tight. Youll know if the box is tight if it does not self center when driving, having it too tight is no a good thing, Go just enough to get the play out, drive it and check it again.
    Move the wheel back and forth with tires on the ground to determine if play is coming from anything else.

dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Post by dodge A-108 Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:03 am

rustytoolss wrote:I've got a few questions about steering box adjustment.  I've read the service manual.  Which says to remove the arm at the box. Is a pitman arm removal tool needed for this ?
    Then center the gear box OK, then turn ADJ screw in..Till it stops? I guess.
     But not quite sure about the torque setting thing..any help here  Please.
    nah, man. do it like this. pull the pitman arm off (yes you need a puller) turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. then turn it all the way to the right counting the turns . now go back HALF WAY .this centers the gear. then adjust the screw on the box GENTLY as you wiggle the steering wheel . don't force the screw. now tighten the lock nut ,put the pitman arm back on and enjoy your new feel steering

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:29 am