VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

"X-Ray view" of the door latch operation

vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

"X-Ray view" of the door latch operation Empty "X-Ray view" of the door latch operation

Post by vanner68 Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 am

Since I skinned my doors, I figured I would make a couple short videos of how the latch works for reference....

First- what is the cause of droopy handles...... this sloppy bit here:

And here is how the lock and latch operate

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

"X-Ray view" of the door latch operation Empty Re: "X-Ray view" of the door latch operation

Post by donivan65 Fri May 16, 2014 9:43 am

"X-Ray view" of the door latch operation Repai129
    vanner68
    vanner68

"X-Ray view" of the door latch operation Empty Re: "X-Ray view" of the door latch operation

Post by vanner68 Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 am

That there sure was a purty door y'all cut up, LOL
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri May 16, 2014 11:43 am

My Handels arent loose or sloppy but sag when the doors are closed is there or do you see any way to tighten them up???
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Fri May 16, 2014 11:55 am

If they sag, the first video shows why. They won't feel loose or sloppy if the square end on the handle shaft is intact. It's where the handle goes in that gets loose.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri May 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Joe Van wrote:My Handels arent loose or sloppy but sag when the doors are closed is there or do you see any way to tighten them up???
    Handel was a composer! Wrote The Messiah.....LOL, Handles open doors....! The square hole and shaft gets worn, or the stamped in square hole gets loose, you'd have to reinforce the hole in the latch with weld metal or weld a piece with a new hole over the old one to tighten it up.  I saw this posted somewhere earlier here or at VCVC on how to do it....here is what I found at VCVC "I fixed my sagging side door handle today. I took the mechanism out and cleaned it with brakes parts cleaner-looks new. I looked it over to see why it was sagging and found that the square tube where the handle goes into was slipping a little from turning it back and forth for 46 years. Everything else was in very good shape. I put it back in without the rods and turn the handle to the closed position and lifted the handle to where it should be, pulled out the handle, remove the mechanism and put a tack weld where the tube goes through the assembly. Now with everything is back in place, the handle sits perfect." so that's how to do it!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Yup, the video just was to show the 'why'....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:59 am