VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles??

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles?? Empty Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles??

Post by Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:50 am

Does anyone have or know where I can view an exploded view of the cargo door handles?? The one on my side door has been bastardized and now the "good one" on the back is coming apart and Im afraid of losing the whole thing. I have no reference. I searched the archives and found good pics of the internal mechanisms but no handles. It looks like a machine screw or something fits inside the outer center. I tried a few but nothing seems to thread. Plus there must be some type of bushing to fit inside the indendet part. Thats already gone. Neutral
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles?? Empty Re: Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles??

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Where is your location? And which door do you want to know about,,,,,the left or right, inside or outside handle???? Is it broken off or stripped,,,,,,do you have the 2 rods that go up and down? Then we can get you what you want.

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles?? Empty Re: Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles??

Post by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 am

It is the rear right outside cargo door handle. It is not broken. It still functions but apears to be loosening up and seperating. Something is missing in the center where"if it had a button" the button would go.It has the rods that lock it in position.It is the same handle that I have on the side cargo door. However, it looks like someone just jammed a sheet metal screw in that one. That can't be right. I live in Maryland.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:07 am

Those side door handles get a lot of hard use and have lots of problems. The handle is held in place with a horsehoe clip on the inside. when you remove the clip it, and it probably falls down inside the door, then you can pull the handle off. And you can check it to see if the clip ring groove is worn out by seeing how the clip fits in there. And you can check and see how the shaft on that handle looks which determines how it operates the latch assembly and how the inner handle fits on it. Then you can remove the 2 outside screws from the escutcheon and check that out for wear.

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles?? Repair19
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:29 pm

The place that your talking about that looks like where a button would go is where a piece of rubber mounts that kind of looks like a button but it doesn't do anything. It's just for appearance and mounts with a screw in the center. It's the black piece that you can see on the handle in Don's pic above.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Im gona spend some time on all the cargo handles this weekend. They are all sloppy and need attention. I saw the clip you had in the pic Don. Thank you. I have some dental pics I think I can use to release it. Not much room to work in there. Looks like a job for hoodini or someone with small, nimble fingers, None of wich are me.Guess I'm a little aprehensive taking stuff apart until I have some understanding of how it goes back together.
    I have noticed all the illustrated "how to" posts you have put up. I have been saving a lot of it in files for future reference. Your pics and instruction are very helpful. Not kissin #@%. Just really glad you are on this site. Better yet, I have a 65' G too. Thanks!!!
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Don definitely knows his stuff here on this site & is an "Asset" to those who need advice! Thanks Don! Smile
    B.W. Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Then lets dig in deeper,,, The easiest way to put that clip back on is remove the escutcheon, put the clip on, then put the escutcheon back on the door and just snap the handle in,,,,,,BUT,,,,,if you take the phillip screws out of the escutcheon the threaded backing plate falls into the door,,,,,and you really don't want that to happen. So,,,,,take one screw out, put in a longer one to trap that backing plate and then do the same for the other screw. Then just slide it back enough to put the clip on and switch out those screws.

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles?? Repair20

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles?? Repair21

Exploded view of 65' cargo door handles?? Repair22

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:02 am