VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
G-Man
BADBADGER
6 posters

A100 cargo door fit

BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

A100 cargo door fit Empty A100 cargo door fit

Post by BADBADGER Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 am

In the process of installing the rear and side cargo doors after sandblasting. Im installing the doors off of a 68 on the 67 body. The doors which look identical dont want to line up properly, seem to be out of square. As there is hardly no adjustment in the in the hinges im not sure how to make this work. Any suggestions?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

A100 cargo door fit Empty Re: A100 cargo door fit

Post by G-Man Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 am

When I put my 69 Chevy together after paint I had the same problem. You just have to mess with it more. It make it easier if you have a friend help with holding the door and also someone else may see what has to be done you may be missing
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:51 am

G-Man wrote:When I put my 69 Chevy together after paint I had the same problem. You just have to mess with it more. It make it easier if you have a friend help with holding the door and also someone else may see what has to be done you may be missing

Hum sounds like G-Man is offering his services. Must need a road trip Laughing
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:32 am

i noticed that when i put my doors back on they didnt seem to line up correct. i just bent them Very Happy to fix right
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 am

Could the mis-alignment be due to some sort of body sag once the doors are removed? Don't have any but just wonder if something like that could be doing this.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 am

Yes - maybe just having to take care of alignment problems- this can be a pain Too. You said they were sandblasted- If done at a large commercial blasting company???? I have seen parts become warped by heavy sand blasting?? I wouldnt think so yet ive seeb this - sanf creates friction and will warp things if done heavily.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by BADBADGER Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:17 pm

I did all of the sand blasting myself. the parts dont have any warpage too them. Possibly having the body on jack stands for a long time may have something to do with this problem. Wheels and tires are in so after they are on Ill drop it to the ground and see if it makes any difference.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8759
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 pm

Try hanging both doors in the inside leave the bolts a little lose .Close the doors .Then from the out side move them around till the gaps are even all around.Then start to tighten them down. you will most likley need to shim them with a thin peice of metal. You can use thin washers to adjust them to were you want them. As you tighten them you have to watch what happens to the gaps. Once you get them close tighten them down. And then you have to go back and move them and shim them to get them just right. It takes some time to get them were you want them. Some times you need to walk away and think about it and come back at it later. Remember they all are 40 pluss years oud they never were perfect. .I hung mine then installed the gasket and readjusted them again after that. Don't try to rush it. It will only piss you off....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:28 pm