VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

My Steering box rebuild parts search...

Skulptor
    Skulptor

Number of posts : 79
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

My Steering box rebuild parts search... Empty My Steering box rebuild parts search...

Post by Skulptor Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:21 am

The old steering box finally went from whole lotta play to locked up... Been researching part numbers hoping i could order the two upper and lower bearings, sector shaft bushing, and gaskets from one place.. I found on a ford truck site stating, the seal, gasket and the two steering shaft bearings and races are the same as 1960/72 Falcon/Fairlane/Torino/Mustang
    The sector bushing is the same as some F100's and 1960/64 Galaxies.

Any idea why Macsauto has bearings listed for the cars and not listed for the Econoline if its same bearings/seals ?

Hoping to get her all together for a swap meet next weekend  Neutral  Or track down another box while i rebuild..
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

My Steering box rebuild parts search... Empty Re: My Steering box rebuild parts search...

Post by 66ThunderVan Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm

If you have to you can take the bearings out and find a bearing supply store and they can match them up. Your best option is probably going to be to find a good used box.
    Carl

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

My Steering box rebuild parts search... Empty Steering gearbox parts search

Post by Carl Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:53 am

If you do a search topics here "worm bearing", from the matches pick "worm bearing part#" get: C2AZ-3571-A -another member say that the right one. www.macsautoparts.com -then pick ford falcon mercury comet microsite and type in that part #
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

My Steering box rebuild parts search... Empty Re: My Steering box rebuild parts search...

Post by Skulptor Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:40 pm

My bearings are too far gone to mic em.

Iv gotten as far as finding the right bearings that are also used in other
    Vehicles, but wonder why they don't list on the site as the same bearing being applicable
    To the econolines.   Now to track down the sector shaft bushing and I'm golden.

Thanks Carl. Im lil slow,just figured out the right part name after ebay item I saw listed.
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Fri May 16, 2014 8:52 am

Hey Skulptor, How did this play out? Do you have a part #, cost and supplier list that you can post? And maybe photos from your rebuild that you can put in a post as a how-to?
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Hey FCC. Played out great, whole new van now. I tore mine down and it only needed new worm bearings. I swapped em out and packed her full of grease and Motor'n on down the road again.
    I took just one photo of me getting the old lower bearing race out. I'd say that's the trickiest part, getting the lower race out of the box. I used the old weld on the race trick. Needs a skilled tig welder to get way in there with a torch and run a small bead without fusing it to the box. I'll get the part numbers I used from Mac auto, and upload the pic.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Tue May 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Tue May 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Here is another post that contains part numbers:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/700653-steering-box.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:13 am