VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Digz
dix
jkr
BoneMan
8 posters

Suregrip Shocking prices

BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Suregrip Shocking prices Empty Suregrip Shocking prices

Post by BoneMan Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Thought I might pickup a 3:23 suregrip for my 8 3/4.

Holy Moses.  I was shocked to learn the current going rate for them.  Ebay or craigslist - Pumpkins, pieces, parts or anything in between are hundreds higher than I expected.

One more thing to budget for - or NOT.  
    :-)
    Are there any recommended alternatives?  Or just suck it up and stop my whining?    alien 

Thanks.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Suregrip Shocking prices Empty Re: Suregrip Shocking prices

Post by jkr Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:57 pm

richmond gear makes a product called "powertrax". these units turn an open diff into a posi at a reasonable cost. and considering most 8 3/4 diff's are worn and require large amounts of upgrade this unit is a bargain. quite sure they have a version for our 8 3/4 rears and now they are starting to come up with a few more gear ratio combos. you will need to know what carrier you have. last 3 digits of the casting number tell you, 741, 742, or 489. best one is the 489 if you can find one. all bolt into the housing so don't be scared to look under any dodge, plymouth, or chrysler product and check the casting number.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731

Post by dix Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 pm

I would not be in a hurry to buy it start lookihg around the swap meets and junk yards you will be supprised how cheap you can find them Most likley you have a 741 rear, the 489 center also requires a larger u-joint no big deal do you need the posi ?? do you know what gears are in yours ?? it's on the vin plate.

Post by BoneMan Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks, jkr/dix.

I googled a bit and found that Detroit Powertrax unit for the 8 3/4 you mentioned.
    http://www.powertrax.com/index.php/products/lock-right/installation-l
    A good to know option at around $425.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-1240-lr/overview/

It's a 741 (oops correction - 3/8/2013 I peeked it's a 489) with 3:55 gears.  I replaced all the axle bearings and seals 2 years ago.  Tapered, not green.  It needs a pinion seal, and I want to have the driveline converted to u-joint.  (Good riddance to the ball and no-fun trunnion!)

I would like the higher 3:23 gearing for freeway speeds. I know the 489 and 742 are the preferred pumpkins.  

I'll do that.  Keep my eyes peeled, check the swap meets, etc. No rush. (Unfortunately, most all junk yards around here have few early iron, and if they do it's been picked to the bone.)

Well, it has been about 10 years since I last bought one.  ($300 no problem back then)
    Just surprised me to see them going for...
    $500-700 on craigslist.
    $700-$1300 on ebay.

Thanks.

Last edited by BoneMan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:48 am

start with craigs list Mopar 8 3/4 / and mopar start looking there , once you find some one with parts send him a reply looking for a rear end center that's how i find my parts.
    The racing world do not use a 3.23 so they swap them out and they sit on a shelf,
    send out the measage and some one will reply,

http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/4348145219.html

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:28 am

try looking here , what you are looking for a lot of people here would like,
    so look where the people who have them will not use them, (Racers)
    http://www.racingjunk.com/

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:33 am

Just tossing this out there , but isn't that 3:55 ratio something wanted by the street guys? Just wondering if you might should advertise a swap or something like that? I think Dix was busy while I was typing . on the same page tho, LOL
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:13 am

Digz you are correct, the 3:55 gears are desired by some, my guess is his is not a posi unit , so if the posi is not important then some one would do a swap, I had a 3:55 in mine and wanted to drop to the 3:23 , I found a ton of them at a large mopar race/swap meet last fall for $50.00 , I installed that to keep the rpm's down and keep engine temps down, So when i find a 3:23 with a sure grip/ posi at the right price i'll buy it but not at $ 500.00 to $750.00 . like i stated earlier we just have to look at places that have them and will not use them, Most of the racers remove parts and put them on the shelf, So That is the people I send the replys or e-mails to and this really works well ,
    Just my 2 cents

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Suregrip Shocking prices Empty If you wanna play, you have to pay...

Post by kookykrispy Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:49 am

Posi is one of those things you've just gotta cough up the cash for if you want it…  Those 8&3/4 3rd members are highly sought after by mopar guys for their muscle cars, so they are in high demand.  

Posi units for GM rear 10 or 12 bolt axles are not cheap either, for the same reason they are in high demand from the muscle car, or classic truck guys. Our 10 bolt rear ends are the same as camaro or chevelle, and the 12 bolts are used in the 1/2 ton trucks, so needless to say, lots of guys are wanting them for their hot rod projects.  Usually about $400.  If you can find one for less dough, consider yourself lucky.

The only 8&3/4 posi I found on my local craigslist was $400, seems like a fair price to me.  Includes the 3rd member center section with 3.91 gears.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/4362088365.html
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:49 am

The 3:23 suregrip were in the big boats the new yorker , Imperials, and such

Post by BoneMan Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Awesome info from you guys.  Great advice that I will put to use.  Armed with info and insight it's going to save me money in the long run.

And when the group saves me money, time and headache, that's when I start looking for the donate button!

Correction - I actually have a 489 case  - 3:55 gears.

(story time)
    I remember NOW.  2yrs ago - when I rebuilt the rear-end, I bought an old D100 pickup that had a 489 in it.  Swapped out with my 741.  (also snagged the 11" rear brake backing plates and sold it with 10".)  Why?  I used to be into Dodge Town Wagons. Sold my last one a year or so ago. Dang - also just noticed I have a D100 pickup Scarebird kit on the shelf.  (extra set of powdercoated hubs too)
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:28 pm

here is a place for the d100 parts.

http://www.sweptline.org/forums/index.php

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 pm

as i mentioned earlier if you find an older sure grip that is in more or less original condition it will and i stress "WILL" need more maintance than you think. the cones wear and clutch material deteriorates, and those parts are the price of a powertrax unit new...

another possible choice is auburn gear. i believe they have units avaliable for these rear diffs. if there is a local dragstrip in your area look up the stock and superstock class guys as they are the best ones to discuss what works on the strip and might apply for you. of course a spool is not an option.
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:51 am

Expect to spend in the 4-500 range for any new posi/ trutrac unit without the ring and pinion gears for any rearend not including the installation kit you will need that has all the bearings and pinion crush sleeve and seals, marking compound etc.. Also you may as well I would also replace the axle bearings and seals as well and thats more $$. Only place you can really save these days is to do the labor yourself and I usually don't recommend that if you have never set up a rear end and don't have the proper tools. If you want to tackle it yourself this is a good place to start.

http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/installation-instructions
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:48 pm

I have a rear axle from my old A 100 pickup and it's a 741 suregrip with 3:91 gears. Only thing is it's in Tennessee and shipping would be pretty bad. As well as crating and all that includes. The truck it came out of was a real junker that's been sitting since the 70's. I have no ideal of the condition and would want to take it apart to see before I'd sell it. If anybody is interested in it let me know and I'll have a look.

Duane in Tennessee.
    pentastar66
    pentastar66

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2013-11-18

Post by pentastar66 Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 am

Duane,
    What would you want for your 391?
    I have a 323 in mine now and wouls like to step up to a 355 or 391.
    I took a 430 out and replaced it with the 323 which I had laying around.
    What part of Tenn. are you in?
    Tim
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Post by BoneMan Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:34 am

Indeed, I'll let the pro's take care of any rebuild type of needs. And yeah, shipping chunks like this around the country is not my preference either. Hope penta and econo are able to swing a local swap. VV rules.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 am

I have no idea what I want for it. I need to see what kind of condition it's in first. It could be a rusted pile of scrap. I'll pull the chunk when I get a chance and see. I'm in West Tennessee, Jackson TN to be exact, right on I 40, 120 miles from Nashville and 80 from Memphis. Pretty good ways from you.

Duane in Tennessee
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Post by BoneMan Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Patience grasshopper.  That's what worked for getting a non-posi anyway.   cyclops 
    I picked up a 3.23 non-Posi for $40 off craigslist.
    At least I can go to 3.23 vs 3.56 for freeway.
    I'm still waiting in the wings for a posi.   alien

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:07 pm