VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question

hermeytheelf
    hermeytheelf

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2014-01-28

Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question Empty Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question

Post by hermeytheelf Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm curious as to what parts interchange. I have a 68 Handibus Custom 108" that will be my driver. My donor is a 64 90" G10 panel. It looks like the doors are a straight swap and maybe even the side barn doors are the same as the rear doors on all of them. The 64 doors are in better shape all around and don't have those ugly side markers. I know springs are different but it appears the 64 may already have gen 2 springs. For spares I might just keep the rear end and front axle as well.
    I will try to get around to posting the 64 parts in the for sale section when I get closer to knowing what I keep and what goes. I already have the bumpers promised to one of the members here who I also need to get back to.
    68MANCAVE
    68MANCAVE

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2014-02-06

Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question Empty 64 gas tank

Post by 68MANCAVE Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Hello hermeytheelf, how is that 64 gas tank. I'm in need of a tank for my 68. I know it's a smaller tank then the 68 has, but if your maybe looking to let go and everything lines up I might take that off your hands. I will wait to hear back from you before I look into this further. Thanks for your time.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question Empty Re: Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:44 pm

The door assemblies are interchangeable,,,,,,but the inside parts are not,,,,,,,the 1st gen has 2" wide springs,,,,,the 2nd Gen has 3" springs  and get weirdly down to 2 1/2"  to squeeze through the U bolts......front axles are not interchangeable,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question Empty Re: Gen 1 Gen 2 parts interchange question

Post by Digz Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 am

Yeah, other than some sheetmetal there really is not to much that is a direct or correct bolt on between the 1st and 2nd Gens. A lot of almosts and looks likes.
    68mancave , you probably will have better luck trying to find a good 2nd gen tank. Good 1st gens are scarce and the mounting to put in a "smaller "tank doesn't seem worth it to me.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:52 am

a 22 gallon 3rd gen chevy tank is very close to the second gens,
    the filler neck is further toward the rear of the tank, and the sender
    that goes in it will work with the second gen gauge.
    68MANCAVE
    68MANCAVE

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2014-02-06

Post by 68MANCAVE Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and info. Twinpilot001 may have one for me in a few months so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until then.  cheers 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am