VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism?

RDR838
    RDR838

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2013-03-10

Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism? Empty Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism?

Post by RDR838 Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:10 am

Hi!

We have no more ideas, we need help:

We finally got hands on working door locks and installing them on the front doors was no problem. On the back doors (barn doors) though we have no idea how to connect the locks to the mechanism.

There's a latch on the mechanism, about 1/2" long, sticking out of the mechanism, RodStRace (thanks!) posted a picture on another thread where it is visible, I circled the latch:
    Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism? Bqq6

Now this thing locks and unlocks the mechanism and only moves vertically, up and down. The to-be-attached rear part of the newly purchased lock moves in a circle though. I have nothing to connect these two and not even an idea how it's supposed to work!

My friend mounted a tube onto the lock but obviously that can't work. Circles won't move in lines without help.

This is how our barn door looks like on the inside today:

Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism? Gw88

So what was in between? Does anyone have a hint? Or a picture of whatever goes there? Or maybe even parts he wants to sell? We're getting desperate.

Thank you guys so very much!

Chris
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism? Empty Re: Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism?

Post by dix Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 am

Are the new locks the same size /lenth as the old ones ?? from what i recall the hole in the clynder arm should go over that rod you are showing, and that is it, nothing hold the 2 togather, some reason the clynder arm does not look like it's lond enough

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism? Empty Re: Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism?

Post by RodStRace Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Yep, the side/rear door locks have a longer, deeper 'arm' to slide onto the pin on the latch.
    RDR838
    RDR838

Post by RDR838 Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 am

Okay, thank you both! I'll try to fabricate an arm and mount it instead of the tube! Sounds doable! I'll post a picture if it works.
    RDR838
    RDR838

Post by RDR838 Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am

A very rough prototype works flawlessly:

Thanks again!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:26 am

glad we could help, now just a little rework

Post by RDR838 Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:08 am

To wrap this up and for anyone in the future who could have the same issue and come here using the search, here's what worked for me:

Barn Door Lock - connection to mechanism? 7t7h

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 am

amazing! i needed this.....now if I could only find new locks....
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Post by BoneMan Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Nice work. Great video too.  alien 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:17 am