VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

little tranny linkage help please

rickland
    rickland

Number of posts : 177
    Registration date : 2013-10-15

little tranny linkage help please Empty little tranny linkage help please

Post by rickland Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:48 pm

my shifter linkage was in the top hole, bottom was empty.  the top lever does not move with the shifter the bottom one does. I am not sure linkage came from but fittings and snap ring looked origional. Van was origionally three speed. now 700 auto. cant find a grease fitting on housing surely there is one. I think I am close enough to heat and bend or bolting top and bottom together and adding to linkage to hit the mid point.  any suggestions?  and if anyone has added a neutral safety switch I am looking for a good spot.
    Oddly, I drove this van home about 20 miles and the shifter worked I think there was a piece of rebar in bottom hole, hose clamped to the linkage, I trashed it. maybe I shouldnt have.   If the salvage yard guy had'nt been such an engineer this would have been easier.      
    I am fired up, hoping to have a bit of a test drive this weekend, I am shifter linkage and a bracket of sorts for throttle cable stop away. drove her 20 feet back and 20 feet forward last night.  thanks for any advise.      little tranny linkage help please Tran_l10
    rickland
    rickland

little tranny linkage help please Empty Re: little tranny linkage help please

Post by rickland Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:50 pm

sorry, 69 g 108
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:18 pm

They would work if you had a 3 speed manual transmission hooked up,,,,,,,the shift lever on the steering column has like an upstairs and downstairs,,,,,,forward and back,,,,,each has a neutral so you have 6 choices of what gear you are in,,,,,,the shift lever is normally in the downstairs position you pull the lever towards  you for 3rd gear, push it up to neutral,,,push it all the way up to 2nd gear,,,,,and this moves the lower arm behind the grille,,,now to get the upper arm to move, you need the lower and the upper arms  to be in Neutral,,,,,then you can lift the shift lever  from the downstairs position to the upstairs position which is 1st and reverse gear and that runs the upper arm behind the grille,,,,,,bottom line is,,,,,,,you need an automatic steering column for an automatic transmission,,,,,,,you can cheat by using a 3 speed manual transmission steering column by using only the lower arm to select the gears and guessing what gear you are in,,,,,,just don't pick up on the shift lever which could disconnect the lower arm,,,,,just hook the rod to the lower arm behind the grille,,,,,tie the upper one back with something.......
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:56 am

All right, thanks, I never thought about telling the kid to lift on the shifter as he was moving back and forth, as he has never driven a column shift. I'll cheat it until I can find a auto column. I have seen one in a rust bucket but he wont part, only one I have seen so far but the vans are scarce in these parts.
    Thanks again.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:52 am

The thing is, the shift lever wont lift unless a 3 speed manual transmission is in neutral,,,and that means you have the shift lever in neutral and the 2 arms behind the grille in neutral , which is REALLY hard to do if there aint no transmission hooked to the rods that go back to the transmission,,,,,everything has to be perfectly aligned,,,,I am just saying that if you leave one of those arms not hooked up, it could stop the shift lever from working right,,,,,so tie so it so it dont move,,,,,and don't let strangers drive the van without a safety neutral switch,,,,,,it can start in any gear and be half way down the road before they can   look up and see what they just run into.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:41 am

Here is one 3 speed manual transmission to PowerGlide conversion,,,,,,a cross shaft operates the selector shaft,,,,,,that is a special rod that connects it back up to the arm behind the grille,,,,,a Back up light/safety neutral switch combination lets the  starter activate only  if the transmission is in Park or Neutral.......

little tranny linkage help please Tree_210
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 am

,,,,and a REAL set up on a van with a TH350 transmission,,,

little tranny linkage help please Vanish14

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 pm