VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please!

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please! Empty Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please!

Post by Vantasia Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:47 am

I need a picture of how the correct vacuum line should be routed to the carb?  Shouldn't there be a loop above the valve cover/carb to prevent back flow of vapor so gas doesn't get into the distributor? I know many old cars have this shape.  My valve cover also has three clips on the right side, did the line travel along and around the cover through these clips or were they for factory wiring supports?  Mine line is all bent up and needs replacing when I install my new carb soon....also, how about the correct metal fuel line shape and location? Might as well replace that while I'm at it too!  Thanks.
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2011-05-01

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please! Empty Re: Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please!

Post by ndjarrett Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 am

Dunno if this was orig or not, but hears what mine looked like (2nd gen)...

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please! Cimg2410

The loops on the valve cover were for the orig oil pressure light, Distrib wires and engine temp light (at least on mine they were).
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please! Empty Re: Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please!

Post by Vantasia Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:24 am

Cool, that's basically the rout mine takes now, around the front. Thanks for the quick reply. That's a nice clean engine...one thing, I would move that fuel filter to under the frame before the fuel pump and away from the engine for fire safety. Old VW owners do that too, never put a plastic filter near the manifold, they do split open and....I like the sliding support rod, I recall my '66 had that set up and not a chain like my '64 has now.
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 am

LOL...ya...that's an old pic after trying to just get by redoing the head. The engine has now been completely rebuilt, with an HEI dist, and I bent a whole new fuel line from the pump up to the carb (no filter). Now in process of finishing up brakes and a rewire kit.
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:09 am

ndjarrett wrote:Dunno if this was orig or not, but hears what mine looked like (2nd gen)...

The loops on the valve cover were for the orig oil pressure light, Distrib wires and engine temp light (at least on mine they were).
    is that copper fuel line? and is there a reason for that? is copper better than aluminum because of the ethanol/aluminum calcification? and where is that other EGR(?) tube going to? nice lookin' motor. Mine's almost the same but haven't got the "Chevrolet" valve cover on it yet. were those valve covers original to sec gens or just 1st gens? (sorry to pepper you with so many questions)
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:42 am

It was copper...probably because it was easier to bend...LOL. Now it's steel. The EGR was split between the intake manifold next to the carb (where it should go) and the vacuum control on the PowerGlide trnasmission that used to be in my van. Now, the EGR only goes to the intake, and the vacuum control on my TH350 transmission comes off the intake below the carb (in this old pic you can see some little square hot idle compensator sticking out under the carb by the seatbelt).
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:18 pm

I have looked at this pic several times, still can't find an egr valve. Do you mean PVC valve?

mikeyslymikeysly wrote:
    ndjarrett wrote:Dunno if this was orig or not, but hears what mine looked like (2nd gen)...

is that copper fuel line? and is there a reason for that? is copper better than aluminum because of the ethanol/aluminum calcification? and where is that other EGR(?) tube going to? nice lookin' motor. Mine's almost the same but haven't got the "Chevrolet" valve cover on it yet. were those valve covers original to sec gens or just 1st gens? (sorry to pepper you with so many questions)
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Lmao, yes the other vacuum line off the pcv valve. Guess I just spaced out. ;-)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:38 pm

When they do have EGR Valves, they tie in by the hot idle compensator, ,,,,,,the vacuum advance tube runs in front of the valve cover,,,,,however,,,,,,a gas line there picks up too much heat from the head and thermostat housing so I run a piece of 5/16" brake tubing from the fuel pump up over the valve cover right into the carburetor.....

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please! Repair26

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please! Repair27
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:43 am

As soon as my Carter YF arrives, I intend to make a steel line over the valve cover as you suggest, I'll put a slight upward jog in the line from the carb to raise it as high as possible above the hot cover and then down to the pump, fun with a tubing bender 101! 5/16" ID or OD? as long as the ID is at 1/4" should be OK?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 am

Here is the one I used,,30" long,,,,,a little longer than I need,,,,and on my van, the threads on the carb and fuel pump are the same as the metal line,,,,,,so it screws right in,,,,,IF,,,,,,,you use up the full 30" on the line without cutting and flaring it,,,,,,,you  take a piece of coat hanger, cut it to 30",,,,stick it in the carb and fuel pump and bend it to make it look pretty,,,,,,then bend the real one the same way and screw it in,,,,

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AGS1/PA530.oap?ck=Search_pa530_-1_2724&keyword=pa530

Vacuum Line Shape and Routing, Pics Please! Repair28

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:37 am