VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

aftermarket intake manifolds and dog house heating

aftermarket intake manifolds and dog house heating Empty aftermarket intake manifolds and dog house heating

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm using the stock intake and a carter yf right now to break in my new rebuild 300.
    It's got a melling torque cam in it and it's pretty quick, but...
    Over at the fordsix forums I've read about great results using the offenbacher's and clifford's 2/4 barrel intake manifolds on a straight six 300.
    I wonder if they would fit in a 1966 econoline doghouse (along with a holley 390 or 570) and what mods have to be made.

Thinking about intake (or outtake), I got stuck in traffic today and the dog house got soo hot i couldn't even touch it.
    I don't have a fan running off the engine, just an electric fan pushing into the rad from the front, but I thought it would make sense to somehow get rid of the heat build up in the dog house.
    Maybe one of those 24 mm computer case fans, attached to the doghouse with a large hose or tube to suck the heat out and direct it
    outside????

And why not take fresh & cooler air to the carb from either the roof or the side right behind the passenger or driver seat?

Anyways, any info or ideas highly appreciated... Cool
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

aftermarket intake manifolds and dog house heating Empty Re: aftermarket intake manifolds and dog house heating

Post by RipVanArkie Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 am

Wrap your headers and insulate the doghouse first. Second, is your fan on a thermostat or always on? Third, are you running a hot enough thermostat (sounds crazy but mine cools better with a hotter stat)?

Hope this helps,
    Rip

aftermarket intake manifolds and dog house heating Empty Re: aftermarket intake manifolds and dog house heating

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks, the thermos is 165° and the fan has a manual switch.
    I turn it on in slower traffic and off on the interstate.
    Don't have a good temp gauge, just the really old one.
    Header wrap is a good idea, I'm looking to get the dual EFI headers
    and will definately do that.

so nobody is running aftermarket intake manifolds?
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:09 pm

I would love to have a nice cam and clifford intake! With the lower stat it is likely to stay open most of the time not allowing the radiator to actually cool any fluid. I would definately invest in a good Zirgo stat for the fan too, if you don't have an engine fan and have the elec fan off unless idling then what is forcing the air through your rad?

Would love to have your engine in my 67!

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:15 am

I had an econo years ago in highschool i used to toy around with it lots trying this and that...my shop teacher was a race guy and he convinced me to widen the doghouse a bit each side to encourage more airflow around the motor..and we hooked up a secondary heater core / rad that exhausted air out of the truck assisted with a fan....if you can flip that fan around to the motor side and suck the air thru the rad..it will cool better....any air you can bring into the doghouse will help everything......just my two cents worth....when i put my hemi in my truck i am going to do all of the above to cool it....good luck!!
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:41 pm

The intake won't fit in the stock motor box. You'll have to widen it quite a bit to clear the carb and intake.
    Fred

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 pm

by two inches, I found out today.

I was thinking about a cool intake tube anyways, coming in from the side under the small window behind the passenger seat...or from the roof...

Any ideas?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Instead of wrapping your headers get them coated by Jet Hot coating.Normal headers run at around 900 degrees but Jet Hot coated headers run between 500 and 600 degrees making things a lot cooler in the doghouse. Our military uses jet hot coating on its jets and tanks.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 am

I'm looking for headers and intake options.

I'd have to move the rad forward to attach the fan to the back but than it wouldnt get much air directed up from the belly pan. I'd have to move the front doghouse section and extend the sides and lid.

What do you all use as insulation between doghouse and floor?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:20 pm