VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Got a New Motor Today Need Help

Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Got a New Motor Today Need Help Empty Got a New Motor Today Need Help

Post by Vannin Ken Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:28 am

Hey Fellas, When i bought my 62, a month or so. Decided i was just going to rewire so i could drive it. But the more i am looking at it, alot of motor parts are missing. Lurking on CL i found a low mileage 200 six out of a 64 Falcon car. As in 53000 miles. Plus a bonus! a C4 auto. My questions are, I am going to need plenty of help from you guys in finding an automatic steering column and linkage plus what kind of trans mount am i looking for ? I will need a different rear end and driveshaft. That 62 has the small rear and driveshaft,which i will need as well. Looks like i'm jumping in this project before i have everything but with your guys help... Thanks KenGot a New Motor Today Need Help Econol10  Got a New Motor Today Need Help Econol11

Last edited by Vannin Ken on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Miss spell)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Got a New Motor Today Need Help Empty Re: Got a New Motor Today Need Help

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:37 am

Looks like a great find Ken
    Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Update: Got eveything loose for 170 to come out. Should i pull the motor thru the side doors or go thru the pass door? Not much room either door. Ken
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Side doors is the way I've done it. Remove the radiator and move the bracket so that you can swing the motor forward and straight up. Took me about 10 min once all is loose or detached. In my opinion leaving the tranny on for both removal and installation is the easier way.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Side doors always easier, remove everything,, but you better read my post that I just replied to you with pictures and info firstly,,,,,, assume Yahoo is slow as this one may beat the other that I just sent,,,LOL>>.
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 pm

It better come through,,,, dratzzzz,,, in depth explanations about the different engine hangers and the extra hole in the frame, steering columns, etc, etc,,, pictures and all. The shifter in your trans does not look correct if on the top and the kick down rod on the bottom. The Econoline shifter is specific for ours, and if so,, I have one here. Very easy to change out correctly... also the shift rod here also. Need to send a picture of your tailstock on your transmission,,, hope mine come through shortly..
    Krud,,, lots of work in the reply,,,
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Well,,, guess Yahoo didnt like the long reply and the pictures,, this will make #3,,, oh boy....
    SO,, please forgive me if a little short on this attempt,, perhaps copy and past to Word in case again,, LOL.
    First of all in your picture among the things that I need to see is the tail stock. The motor mounts are correct for a 64 Automatic Econoline and or a 65 to 67 Econoline, but not the ones that will attatch to your sheet metal engine hangers,,, the reason for is important.
    The 64 small six C4 was the first and ONLY year that a small six was offered for a DONOUT mount tail stock. Those mounts are and were stock for the 65 to 67's AND the 64. All early Econolines from 61 to 64 did not have the mount in your picture, but rather the two bolt mounts.
    The earles did not have a hump in the back of the doghouse for added bellhousing clearance needed fo the automatics,, SO,, Ford dropped the engine height front and back.. With that the 64 sheet metal engine hangers were different than the 61 to 64 manual transmission engine hangers using the two bolt mounts. The 64 engine hangers designed to not only use the stud type mounts but also to DROP the engine height up front. They also dropped the rear of the engine in order to get bellhousing clearance by ADDING another mounting bolt hole in the frame. This extra hole was in the 64 only, obviously because of haviong to drop the rear of the engine for bell housing clearance. The manual transmission mounting in the lower hole and the automatic with the donout mount in the upper hole. This dropped the motor equally so that the carb and the float level were level.
    I cannot see the tail stock in yours, but suspect it came out of a car????? as the 64 automatic with the donout mount is pretty hard to find. If you have the car typw sliding yoke it will have two problelms, the first is that it is too long and your drive shaft angles will be MUCH more crititcal especailly if you dont drop the motor as it needs to be. The second of course is that it is much weaker than the short solid output yoke tail stock. Moste all truck applications use a heavier duty ball bearing supported yoke,, as in ALL of our automaitcs and later year manuals use. The longer tail stock is much worse to use, all though I have seen a lot used.....
    I make steering columns out of the manual steering columns exactly like Ford did in ours, so that can be handled,, as well as I have the stock shift rod that you will need, in addition I make a shift rod to shift cable conversions also that works very, very well. Also, I make all of the plastic shift indicator plates to include the less desirable GREEN dot version that came stock.
    Most all convert from the GREEN DOT shift pattern to the better shift pattern by simply changine the shift body.
    The tail stocks will interchange, and I have one donut mount tail stock here for sale, complete with output shaft, etc,,,,, also. The Econoline shifter is specific to ours and if you need one I also have them in stock....
    Much more to say,, and will save for later,,,, but,,, hoping that this one will go through..

IN fact will send the pictures seperate from this post as maybe that was the problem last time??
    vic

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Okay,,, post came through this time,, and here are some pictures????????????
    vic

Got a New Motor Today Need Help 100_1611

Got a New Motor Today Need Help Img_0111

Got a New Motor Today Need Help Early_11

Got a New Motor Today Need Help 100_1812

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm