VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

steer and shift

oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

steer and shift Empty steer and shift

Post by oo3 Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:10 pm

at the top of the steering column there is a bearing and what i will call a bushing that is on the steering shaft - what holds that bushing in place? - in my fsm for a 66 it calls for a snap ring - in my 69 i did not have a snap ring and do not see a grove on the steering shaft for one to place - i am putting in the new to me steering column with proper shift gear mech - if that bushing does not stay in place it allows the steering shaft with steering wheel to flop around some - i dont know how my old one was staying in place -
    problem 2 - at first i could not get the up down motion on the shift to work - playing with the placement of the clamp at the bottom of steering column, and position of same i was able to get the up down motion to engage - but the shifting is hanging up - is there some instruction as how to position the column up and down or any advice in this installation ? - if you read my post on 1st gear location the previous owner had the shift rods on the wrong gear shift levers - this is a case i wish someone in town had a manual shift dodge like mine i could compare in person with - oo3
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

steer and shift Empty Re: steer and shift

Post by dan nachel Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:28 pm

I don't know about dodge, but on a ford there is a hole at the bottom of collun where you put a screw-driver to line up linkage and then adjust the transmission end of the linkage.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm

PART ONE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcewnrO5vIc

about 6 minutes in. Watch all of both part one and two.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:14 pm

progress - for problem # 1 i had a big duh moment - i over looked a spring which if i am correct, goes between the bushing i mentioned and the steering wheel when in place - i will take an easy fix even if i have to feel stupid for a moment - between my 66 fsm and those great vids i forgot about ( thanks rod ) - i think i still need a little more adjustment, but i have the van shifting better than it did before - granted they probably never thought you would have to adjust that clamp at the bottom of the steering column for the shift assm - but they could have come up with a better way to go about that - its very imprecise - first i have to get used to the shift pattern being reversed - oo3
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm happy rod was able to help , i've never had a coloumn apart. also take a look at where the linkage connects to the coloumn and the tranny there should be bushings on both ends.!!! make sure they are not worn out.. if so that would make every thing sloppy. also look at the linkage where the 90 degree bend is they may be worn as well, You may need to add some weld there and grind them down so they are round again.. just my 2 cents.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm