VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift

dinki5081
    dinki5081

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2018-09-28

Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift Empty Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift

Post by dinki5081 Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello!
    I just acquired my first van. Anybody know how to remove the manual shift lever on the column? Seems like it has a little spring button on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift Empty Re: Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift

Post by Barnabas Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Your van is too new for us. This forum is for Econolines from 1961-1967. You need a different forum to reach folks who might know how to answer you question. Here is one I know of.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift Empty Re: Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift

Post by Old Skool Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Well,, even though its a later year than ours,, The question is still a good one for us,,,, as we also use the SAME PART,,, Its used as a fulcrum point for the shifter handles on both the automatics and the sticks. The early ones used a "roll pin" which wears out the holes in the shift tube and in the lates of ours and his,, they enlarged the hole in the shifter and used an internal spring and two detents that the spring pushed outwards and into the shift tube as the fulcrum point. I use a pointed object and push one sides detent inwards and then twist the shifter as I try to pull the shifter out. It wont come out because there is also the the other detent that is still in place. By pulling and twisting it lodges the one I pushed inwards so that it wont pop back in place, then being carefull not to push too far I push the detent still engaged until the shifter wants to come out. STOP and put a rag over the top so that the tension spring doesnt fly out across the shop. Push the rubber insulator downwards and twist, the handle should pop right out. to put it in is another post,,, LOL
    OldSkool
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 pm

dratzz here is a pic of the shifter handle and the parts,,
    OldSkool

Removing the shift lever on a 1969 e100 manual column shift 000_0410

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 am