VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting

Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting Empty Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:08 am

Hello

https://2img.net/h/i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/Jimcozine/Econoline/Econo.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/Jimcozine/Econoline/Econo3.jpg

I am looking for the Bushings at the bottom of the Shifter tube with the Grease fitting for my 63 Econoline Pickup 3-on-the-tree staight 6. I already have the the small nylon bushings that attach the shifter rods that go back to the tranny from Mac's Auto parts. I can't find anyone that has the ones at the bottom of the shifting TUBE itself. The one with the Grease fitting and about a 3/4" I.D. Mine is half its original size with ALLOTA play in all directions. Maybe there is an equivalent in the F series Pick-ups? I just picked the truck up last week and don't know if there is any "cross parting" possible with these? I have not owned one of these for 30 years, feeld GREAT to be "back in the fold". Appreciate any help I can get cheers

Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting Empty Re: Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:19 pm

My truck was sloppy like yours. I build welded all the worn areas. Then took to a machine shop and had them turn it down to the right size again.
    That was 20 years ago. I do not remember where I got the bushings from. But it took care of the sloppy play and it shifted real nice afterwards.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting Empty Re: Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting

Post by Old Skool Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:06 pm

There is no factory bushing at the bottom of the column, the SUPPORT bracket that bolt up on the bottom is only for vertical support, the only bushing that is in the column from the factory is a plastic one in the aluminum mounting bracket.
    The only greasable zirc fitting there is,, is on the upper shift arm itself.
    I turn the end of the shift tube down, re-weld in brass, and then re-cut it to .750. Then I bore out the aluminum mounting bracket for more clearance, and install a bronze bushing cut down in the lower support bracket. Also, a MAJOR problem with the column is the shift pin, it is hardened and the shaft is not. You should be able to put in a 1/4" Phillips head screwdriver into the alignment hole and in both of the two matching alignment holes in the shifters. If you can then move the shifter back and forward more than a 1/2",, that indicates the hole in the shift tube is worn out. To fix that, get a 17/64th cobalt drill bit and carefully drill out the worn out 1/4" hole. Then make a new shift pin out of the shank of the drill bit to match the original length. That usually helps the slop situation there.
    Here are some pics showing a rebuilt 4spd, 3spd,and the alignment points so you can properly adjust your transmission shifters in neutral.
    vic

Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting 000_0310
    Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting 000_0413

Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting 100_0811

Shift Lever bushings, the one with the Grease fitting 100_0912

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:44 pm