VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Non Column Manual Shift Linkage

Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Non Column Manual Shift Linkage Empty Non Column Manual Shift Linkage

Post by Roman Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:47 am

Does it exist? If so, I need one.

If anyone has any expertise on adapting or fabricating shift linkage for a 5-speed manual transmission please contact me.

Roman
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Non Column Manual Shift Linkage Empty Re: Non Column Manual Shift Linkage

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:27 am

No experience with doing this. I can offer a few things to look at.
    Consider how the shifter is currently on the one you want to use.
    Dodge B vans had floor shifters with big long linkages. The shift forks were on the side.
    Many FWD cars have cable setups, some have linkage. If your trans has a top shifter, cable may be the best solution.
    Look at Panteras and rear engined race cars with transaxles. They often have a special input for the shifter and only one or 2 linkages. This would require the most fabrication.

There was a company at SEMA a couple years back that had a very cool transaxle with a paddle shifter that triggered solenoids to shift. Problem is, the basic setup that could hold V8 power was 20K!!! However, you could engineer a solenoid or air shifter that mounted to the trans and operate it using a stick or paddles or even steering wheel buttons.
    douglas_sisk
    douglas_sisk

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2016-04-19

Post by douglas_sisk Sun May 15, 2016 9:21 am

Any progress on your shifting project?

If you have any updates I would love to hear about them.

I am really new to this van stuff but am running ideas through my head on what to do to mine. Power steering from a Saturn really interests me and to do that I need to get rid of the column shift as well. I am thinking right now grafting a cable linkage to the factory three speed (simple linkage on the side) to prototype it and ultimately I would love to have a 5 speed. The biggest challenge I see right now is most 5 speed boxes have the shift assembly on top.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:06 pm