VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
mattimuss
Digz
RodStRace
dodge man
G-Man
Gothboy
Scotts_A100
11 posters

'69 A100 question along with an update...

Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

'69 A100 question along with an update... Empty '69 A100 question along with an update...

Post by Scotts_A100 Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 am

As some of you know I've been redoing my '69 A100 and to date have completed all outside body work and have it in epoxy primer. I've moved inside and one of the first things that I did was to reinstall the gas filler neck cover which had to be pulled off to get at the body behind it to do bump work. I just finished putting the cover back in place but there is a question that has come up that I need some input on.

My objective is to go stock and I see that there is a hole in the floor just in front of the gas filler neck cover. I sure don't believe that this is stock but before I plug weld it I would like to ask anyone with a late ('68, '69, '70) A100 if there is a hole in this same location and what it might be used for. BTW, there is a hole in the same general location on the opposite side too that I would/will fill if it can not be identified as needed. The following picture shows the hole in question.

'69 A100 question along with an update... A100_210

Also, I've included a few pictures of where it currently stands overall. My goal is to be able to paint it before the end of August.

'69 A100 question along with an update... A100_211

'69 A100 question along with an update... A100_212

'69 A100 question along with an update... A100_213

'69 A100 question along with an update... A100_214

'69 A100 question along with an update... A100_215

Thanks, for any input on this. Scott...
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

'69 A100 question along with an update... Empty Re: '69 A100 question along with an update...

Post by Gothboy Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:40 am

None present in my 68 that I can find by slithering my hands around under the boxes in the back. Smile

Yours is lookin super sweet amigo!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

'69 A100 question along with an update... Empty Re: '69 A100 question along with an update...

Post by G-Man Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:05 am

Looking good Scott, hope to see it in person next year at Baker's
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 am

SUPER NICE JOB, KEEP IT UP !
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 am

No such hole in my 69 108, but the floor on mine isn't pristine.

Great work on the body so far, hope to see it in paint soon.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Looking Good Scott ! Nice work on getting that filler cover in.. I figured they had hung it in the air and built the van around them when I tried to remove one in one piece.
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2009-05-04

Post by mattimuss Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey Scott,

I just checked the floor in my '69 and I do not have a hole there.

I have numerous other holes that are questionable, but not one there...

Matt
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:39 pm

plug the holes. none here either on my 69.

Post by Scotts_A100 Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks to all that had taken the time to read my query and reply. And I would like to especially thank every one on the nice comments. It's been a stinker of a job to get to this point which I know a lot of you out there understand very well and I only consider myself to be an ok job so far. It does get a good amount of attention as some neighbors stop by to check the progress now and them. So, again thank you all.

Based on the feedback then those couple of holes are history and I will make up a plug, weld, grind and use a bit of glaze to finish them off. If anyone noticed, the floor seam that is next to that hole has the two surfaces uneven with the one near the outside wall higher then the inner floor surface. I didn't provide a picture of the other side but the floor there too is uneven but it is the opposite where the outside is low and the inside is higher. It's just how it was made. Another thing noticed was that the two front door openings are different as they do not measure the same side to side and the van was never in an accident. That was the quality of the late 60's. Thanks again, Scott...
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2013-02-10

Post by 67Dodger Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Scott...I was thinking about those holes and have a thought. Maybe those are for the rear brackets on the third seat. Maybe only the vans with three seats have the holes. Or do the third seats mount between the wheel well humps? Do any of you that have answered Scott actually have a third seat installed? Now I'm more curious. I don't have them in mine, but mine is a pickup.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 am

The third row is not that far back.

Scott, The build tolerances were much less tight back then. That's why I keep telling people that ask "What's the Biggest Tire" question. What fits one won't fit another, even if both are unmodified and the same ride height!

I tried swapping front doors once and there was a 1/4" difference!
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:59 pm

I agree that the third row seat is not positioned that far back and even if they were the seat belt holes for the normal second row seat are directly behind and even with the seat back. I did though consider that they may have been in the correct position if there were 70 style side marker lights, but again that would be a guess. I'm still going to plug them so I guess there is no more discussion on this point.

Rod, that's exactly my thinking and why I was surprised to be able to use a set of back doors as my new side doors without issue.

BTW, just a little side update to anyone that happens to read this. Last night there were some strong storms that passed through with the results being some large limbs, about 20 and 35 feet long broke off the neighbors silver maple tree (from the west, behind me) and fell across the back of my garage. The limbs hit the peak of the roof and damaged a back edge but that was it. The real issue that I did not see lastnight was that there is a second tree (same neighbor, but an elm) that is right next to the fence between our lots and it is in the process of going over. The only thing that I see that held it back from falling was the tree is resting against the electrical service drop going to the neighors north of me. Not good. If it goes it has a strong chance of hitting my garage, driveway and glancing my house. The neighbor west of me does not think he is responsible  to remove it. I'll talk to my insurance guy Monday to see what my options are and the neighbor to the north put a call in to the power company. I'll just have to wait to see how this one plays out. Scott...
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:58 am

great work on your van! no holes on my 69 108 either.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:36 am

beleive it or not most of the time your home owner will pay to have the repairs done.

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

'69 A100 question along with an update... Empty tree

Post by A100 Wrench Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:06 am

Call your electric company. They will get it off the wires and leave it in his yard to deal with. They usually have 24/7/365 service.
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:59 am

Again thanks to those with comments/thoughts on the tree issue. To close out this discussion here is where things ended up:

The power company came out to check the tree and the contact with the neighbors service drop from the pole to the house, the bottom line was they would not touch it. The neighbor behind me where the tree sits came out and told me they also called the power company. Another power company guy came out a couple hours later and came over into my yard to check it out. After I wined a bit he said that he was going to call his boss and let me know, he came back and said that it would be cut down. The crew showed up still a couple hours later at the neighbors house behind me and said that it was not their problem as it was not going to effect the power main lines on the pole and they had other jobs to do. The neighbor chased after them and then came back to chat with me when one of the crew guys came back and told the neighbor that they would drop it for $$$ but they would not take it away. The only other twist was that as the tree was now so far over my yard it would all get dropped in my yard so I would have to agree to that. The neighbor told me he'd pay it right then and they would do it if I agreed. He sold it in that I wouldn't have to worry about it coming down on the garage or house but it would be in the yard. I thought hard on it. The neighbor to the south of me (and help some to pull the original branches out) thought that the tree had moved since the day before, so did the neighbor that had the tree pulling on their service drop think it moved more, and to be honest I thought it moved more too. In the end I could take the chance of it coming down and hitting the garage, house, etc. so I agreed. The neighbor behind me paid them and they came over and dropped it in my yard which is where it currently is. Now to get rid of it. Was it the right thing to do, maybe not, was I had, maybe but I hope not.

So, that closes this tree discussion out. I'll work at getting the tree gone so I can get back to work on the van. I guess the major plus would be the tree was always a threat but became a serious threat with the last storm and now the threat is gone. Scott...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:35 am