VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions

Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions Empty 240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions

Post by Linoman Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 am

So of the different choices available(stock, split from EFI engine, HD stock, headers) why or why not  should I use a particular type? I'm hoping to swap in a 300 this fall and as I now have the Edelbrock intake I figure I should be improving exhaust side too.
    Other than adding an electronic ignition and a progressive 2bbl carb I'm not planning on any other engine upgrades. Your thoughts & opinions are appreciated.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions Empty Re: 240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions

Post by Murdock Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm

I am in the same boat. I think the split EFI is not worth it, if you are going to bother running dual pipes might as well pony up for the headers. It also depends on what kind of performance you want to get out of the motor. The stock manifold is the only option with the heat valve for better warmup on the carb. With just a 2bbl the stock manifold should be enough, but again depends on how much performance you want to get.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Doesnt matter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,, the front one will hit the doghouse and the floor, I have some pics some wheres,,, anyways,,, The Clifford headers look like the ones to use. If you want to stay with the exhaust manifold you will always have a carb perc problem,,, In the stock exhaust manifolds there are two types,,, an industrial one that breathes better and the stock one.
    I tried a half a dozen times yesterday to post some pictures,, and I give up!!!!! The new setup KEEPS asking for my password using vidimage something awother??? I don't remember ever having to join something in order to post pictures with anybody,,, sorry,,
    vic
    Linoman
    Linoman

Post by Linoman Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:33 am

Vic, I noticed in another post your picture uploading is working, when you have moment could you post your manifold pics, thanks.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:19 am

Something is messed up with the other putter,, trying to move some pictures over to this one, and when I am posting on it, it asks for my password for vidimages,,, and wont work,, so back to this one for awhile,,,, anyways,, here are some different ones,,,, I liked Eugenes 6 into 1,, but Sean isnt making them right now,,, then there is the industrial version of the 300 manifold which of course will work just fine on the 240, and then the Clifford setup I just got that is for sale. I havent been able to upload the new pictures showing the fuelly exhaust manifold hitting the floor board,,, still trying to upload them into this computor,,

BTW... I seem to also be having problems posting pictures in the parts for sale section?? assume more of my not knowing how?? anyways,,, the picture of the Clifford headers for sale, also includes the head with bronze guides, roller rockers, hex type screw in rocker studs, nitrous injection, fuel pressure regulator, distributor and wires, two new extra caps, rotor, special custom made stainless manifold clamps, high output coil and resistor, special made thermostat housing, custom water cooled manifild, clockable nitrous nozzle, two bbl Weber with air cleaner adapter, and custom Weber adapter for the maniflold,,, its a hot setup but want to sell it as a whole package,,,, will mess with the pictures in for sale later tonight,,,
    sorry,,

vic

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions 100_1010

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions Hd_exh10

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions Blue_o10

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions 100_1910
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 am

Here are the pictures of the fuelly manifold hitting the floor board and doghouse,,,, pictures from Brian Everwein,,,,
    vic

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions Exhaus10

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions Exhaus11
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:10 am

Hey Lino

If you are going to pop in another motor my 2 cents says 302.
    I have a 300 in mine, but got it cheap.
    $ and availability will play into upgrades for your 300...vs a 302 options
    Fitment, AC, headers, cabueration, manifolds ,etc
    just food for thought

Jim in NJ aka Casimier
    Linoman
    Linoman

Post by Linoman Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks for the pics Vic, very helpful. your input is helping me narrow & fine tune my direction, I'll nix the FI manifolds and ponder the HD or headers(I want to step up from the stock one). This will be a late fall project so I have time to consider whats best for me.

Casimier, thanks for your 2cents. I'm planning on staying with the straight 6 because I have been very happy with them and won't need to do as many mods in a switch out. Also I picked up a "rebuilt" 300 with a C6 tranny out of an 85 F-150 for cheap(don't know if I'll use the tranny cause I really like my 3-on-the-tree),it was just a package deal with the engine, both for $200.

~ Linoman
    tody
    tody

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2010-09-15

Post by tody Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:34 am

I wish Sean would make this beautiful 6into1 header again...
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Thnx guys,,, I have been working on and savin pictures of all the subjects for a long time and enjoy being able to share them for people......
    Sean and I have been talking, and in all honesty he is battling some serious issues so I do understand. Life has turns we dont expect. and not my place to say.
    On the other cheek,,, I have been saying the same about the V8 conversions for so long I have forgotten when I started yapping about them. It really is a LOT of work for the 300 in order to compete, the 300 a VERY torquey motor, some say even more than the 302.
    IMO,, and an old statement, there is so much MORE to building a bad boy six than a simple Windsor block. The air cleaner is right in the middle, and the ONLY ADDED expense is to convert the cross member towers over in order to use the V8,,,, no matter what you do, same radiator and fan issues, alternator and transmission cooler upgrades,,,, all exactly the same!!!
    The big six with a stock intake and exhaust will always boil the gas in the carb with a big cast iron heat sink bolted up to the bottom of it. Then Ford even realized and issue and put a cold air manifold to blow cold air onto the intake runners with a note on the air pump stating that "it is normal to hear the cooling fan run after you shut the motor off",,,,After all, its not like its under a big F-100 pick ups hood with plenty of room for the heat to dissapate. On top of that,, then we insulate the little heat box we stuff it into!!!! Difficult at best to get cold fresh air for the carb???? no place for the heat to go to???? bigger intake manifold and carb and so that I have to cut out the side of the doghouse,,,,, SO,,,IMO,,,, At least the
    V8's air cleaner is right in the middle with no exhaust manifold to boil the carb... as they go out the side and down,,,,,JUST IMO.....Have heard some pretty funny sounding dual exhausts though...LOL Its just my opinion,, but I think for the same amount of moneys,,, the V8 is actually less combersome and an easier power boost. For the purist who likes the idea of building a hot rod 6, in its own right that is pretty neet!!!! The best I have seen yet was an old Ford hubcap for an air cleaner,,, but again,, it had a hood about 4ft long to stuff it under instead of puttin it in a barbecue box.

Vic,,,
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 pm

I have short solid output yoke tail stocks in stock for the C6 if you go that way. It lets you keep the better and longer drive shaft, and gets rid of the weaker sliding drive shaft issue at the same time. It simply replaces your existing tail stock and the under transmission mount locations are identical to each other.
    HOWEVER,, regardless there are NO C6 tail stocks that have an upper type mount, so you will have to use a transmission cross member to support it. I JUST happen to make them,,,,,LOL..
    Here is a picture of a C6 with a short tail stock and the cross member. This short tail is a different one than I know have found. The one that I have now, puts the speedo on the correct side.
    vic

BTW,,,,,,,,,,,,, The complete system that i posted for the 300 is for sale to include a cylinder head with a lot of work put into it. It has the HEX type screw in studs, Crane roller rockers, bronze guides, and so on. That intake is also setup for Nitro,,, someone serious can get a good deal.....
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:10 pm

OOPPPPPZZZZZZZ.... forgot the picture of the C6 short tail stock. The new one I found and have now have the speedo on the drivers side...
    Vic

240/300 Exhaust Manifold opinions 100_1110

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 am