VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED Empty MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 am

Upon getting the van on a rack this week, I discovered a good bit of exhaust rust, including some holes. The largest hole is on driver's side as the pipe bends towards the tip.

I'm considering replacing the better part of it and want suggetions/opinions. The mufflers probably can hang on for a bit longer, but if I'm doing it, I might as well change them as well. Any option from Summit is where I'm currently looking. Bang for buck suggetions appreciated.

It is currently a dual exhaust, head back setup by Flow Tech with side exit. There aren't any aftermarket head pipes and I believe it's around 2-2.25" in diameter. P.O. says he believes the exit is 2.25", so it has to be close. 350 engine and tranny.

First, is stainless worth the money in terms of longevity? My plan is to sandblast and paint/seal/undercoat the underside of the van, so paying extra for S/S might not be worth it, i.e. Borla. (Is Borla any better other than materials.)

Looking to use a pair of turbo mufflers. Is there any real performance difference between brands? I want a nice sound that is also as quiet at idle and hwy speeds as possible. Summit makes their own line and everything steps up from there. No plans for glass packs or anything to add decibels.

Diameter: My mechanic suggested not getting larger pipe than currently in place if I want a quiet interior at idle and interstate speeds. He has muscle cars so I put stock in his opinion.

Design: Is a dual crossover worth spending more? I understand the benefits.

Or, is welding the hole or just replacing the bad pipe better and just see how long it can hang on? Entire exhaust is at least 6 years old.

MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED Exhaus10

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added photo)
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED Empty Re: MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:19 am

Lee,
    Would go for standard piping at current size. A cross-over would be cool but can be tricky on our vans but have seen it done. Stainless is nice except for the cost. If your van was going to be strictly a "Show" van I'd yes, but not for a daily driver unless you simply have the money to piss away. A standard exhaust will last 8-10 years of daily driving (Longer in the south or s/west) so would make more economical sense.

**** And a new set of "THRUSH" mufflers.... Smile

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 am

Anywhere there is salt in the coastal air & roads salted?? even sparayed with deice -will kill the exhaust systems - in texas = 200 miles from the coastal areas & even never spraying the roads for ice in winters - thye humidity will likk the exhausts also - 3 years max usual- and thats maybe just replacing a pipe or muffler to maybe all the system. Here where i live in spoakne washington area - low humidity-300 miles from any salt - having been here for 25 years - I have yet to redo any exhaust systems & parts . All where you live must be weighed to what you want to do?? Personally , id get a stainless system- then youre done with it. As for xpipes / crossover ?? maybe = yet will the payoff in performance / mileage beneift that cost is savings??
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:43 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:Anywhere there is salt in the coastal air & roads salted?? even sparayed with deice -will kill the exhaust systems - in texas = 200 miles from the coastal areas & even never spraying the roads for ice in winters - thye humidity will likk the exhausts also - 3 years max usual- and thats maybe just replacing a pipe or muffler to maybe all the system. Here where i live in spoakne washington area - low humidity-300 miles from any salt - having been here for 25 years - I have yet to redo any exhaust systems & parts . All where you live must be weighed to what you want to do?? Personally , id get a stainless system- then youre done with it. As for xpipes / crossover ?? maybe = yet will the payoff in performance / mileage beneift that cost is savings??

We live in high humidty and happen to live on the marsh. That may not be a factor as I'd like to seal my garage and dehumidify during the summer. Things in the garage will rust rapidly when open to the elements. When enclosed, they don't. No issues with salt roads or snow.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:30 am

As a rookie vintage van owner, I am faced with the same exhaust issues as I begin to "restore" my van. The existing dual exhaust compents seems to be intact but is rusty and will need replacing sometime in the near future. I will more than likely have a muffler shop replace the existing exhaust with an inexpensive but quality replacement system. Mostly because I am cheap but also realize that "standard" exhaust components will last for many years here in Texas and are much less expensive. Good luck with your exhaust...

[url=MUFFLER/EXHAUST OPINIONS NEEDED 491]
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:34 am

[i]stainless then

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:00 pm