VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
kookykrispy
Scott
6 posters

Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe Empty Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe

Post by Scott Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 pm

I planned on piecing together my own exhaust system, but I got to looking at it tonight and it looks like it needs a doughnut gasket. I don't know if I can buy the connector pipe that will fit this. If I buy a connector made for an aftermarket header there won't be much gasket in there.
    Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe 129

So I took a picture of the exhaust manifold from the old engine to see if it was beveled too. I don't remember a doughnut gasket coming off the old engine.
    Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe 221

So here's a picture of the pipe I pulled with the old engine. Looking at the end it looks like it just slides up into beveled manifold.
    Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe 319

So, to get to my question..

Can I buy this end to make my own pipe, or do I have to take it to a muffler shop to get the right end?
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe Empty Re: Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe

Post by kookykrispy Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 pm

The donut gasket fits inside the pipe on one side and then inside the bevel on the manifold. You can buy that gasket at any parts store for probably under $5
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:26 am

Both the flange and ball type are muffler shop made by squashing the end of the exhaust pipe,,,,,,the flange type uses a gasket,,,,,metal is better than the composite type,,,,,,,the ball type has the gasket kind of built into it,,,,,,,,

Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe Metal_10
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Scott wrote:I planned on piecing together my own exhaust system, but I got to looking at it tonight and it looks like it needs a doughnut gasket. I don't know if I can buy the connector pipe that will fit this. If I buy a connector made for an aftermarket header there won't be much gasket in there.
    Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe 129

So I took a picture of the exhaust manifold from the old engine to see if it was beveled too. I don't remember a doughnut gasket coming off the old engine.
    Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe 221

So here's a picture of the pipe I pulled with the old engine. Looking at the end it looks like it just slides up into beveled manifold.
    Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe 319

So, to get to my question..

Can I buy this end to make my own pipe, or do I have to take it to a muffler shop to get the right end?
    so what did you end up doing ? my van has that same decrepid looking exhaust bevel in the manifold and the pipe has that same welded on looking doughnut and I want to seal it up so the fumes wont get me wasted everytime I drive this thing, I have it all apart and am trying to get it back together nice and tight
    sparky

Post by sparky Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:00 pm

donivan65 wrote:Both the flange and ball type are muffler shop made by squashing the end of the exhaust pipe,,,,,,the flange type uses a gasket,,,,,metal is better than the composite type,,,,,,,the ball type has the gasket kind of built into it,,,,,,,,

Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe Metal_10
    Is Scott's the flange type that would need a metal gasket ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 pm

If the manifold has a tapered seat, the exhaust pipe needs to have a taper to seal,,,,,,,,some have a ball type built onto the end of the pipe, some are wedged shaped that require a wedge shaped gasket that goes between the exhaust pipe and manifold,,,,,,,,the engine moves when you accelerate,,,,,so there has to be some flexibility in the exhaust pipe and manifold connection,,,,,,,but put a gasket in there and see if it seals,,,,,,,if the gasket is not right, you will have a noticeable exhaust leak that will be noisy,,,,,,and you can put your hand up there and feel it if it is leaking,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe Repai140
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 am

I ended up going down to a muffler shop and explaining what I was working with, and the size of the pipe. He took a piece of scrap pipe that had a 90 degree bend and flared the end like the left one in the picture Donivan posted.

It's still an open pipe, but at least it's blowing down and out behind the driver's wheel.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:54 am

Add =Anti- sieze to all exhaust studs & bolts=before installing the system- You will never regret it- Im talking the copper based stuff=napa sells it. easily removal if you ever need to.
    sparky

Post by sparky Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:32 pm

donivan65 wrote:Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe Repai140
    Mine is just like the one on the right, and the bevel in the exhaust manifold is REAL skanky where that pipe mounts, doesnt look like it could ever seal up there, should I have a muffler guy make me a new pipe and flare the end and use a gasket/donut like that one on the left ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:32 pm

So what is wrong with the taper in the manifold?

Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust Pipe Repai146
    sparky

Post by sparky Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:51 pm

the taper in mine is pretty ugly... corroded and rusty, I am gonna scrape it and hit it with a wire wheel tomorrow and hope it cleans up...Is there supposed to be a gasket on the one on the right ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:41 pm

The taper needs to be smooth to seal,,,,,,ain't no law saying you can't put a gasket on any exhaust pipe,,,,,,,so grab one of those $1.99 composite exhaust gaskets, #8194 at Autozone and file one side down if it won't fit right,,,,,,,
    sparky

Post by sparky Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:06 pm

uh huh.....got it THANX!!
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:23 am

The pipe on the right in Don's photo looks to me like it was made to not need a gasket. Kind of like how double flared brake line works. When you tighten it up, the flare in the tubing gets forced to conform to the mating shape. It works for brake lines but they don't get jerked around as much as the exhaust pipe. I must say, though, I like how the other pipe extends up into the manifold. Seems like that would help stop leaks.

I like the composite gasket ring. It's softer than metal so I think it will fill in any little gaps, like on a rusty, skanky exhaust manifold. Don got me the same pipe as his (on the left). I brought it to a muffler shop to get the right gasket ring and I saw that the angle of the pipe's flare didn't match the ring. The guy went to his bending machine, which also had a flaring thing, and just bumped my pipe lightly a couple times, which flared it out to be a perfect match for the ring.

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:07 am

The pipe that was connected to the engine I pulled was just like the one on the right too. I was told that my current manifold was pulled from an International Harvester 250 or 292. This manifold dumps to a 2.5" pipe, that's why it was swapped out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 pm