VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
m1dadio
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
Scott
8 posters

Exhaust Pipe, why downsize?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Exhaust Pipe, why downsize? Empty Exhaust Pipe, why downsize?

Post by Scott Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:38 pm

My Inline 250 has a factory exhaust that has a 2.5" exit hole for the pipe. I'm about to buy the muffler, and have it welded up, or make it myself. Is there any reason for me to drop the pipe from 2.5"? I'm thinking about going with a single glasspack.

Would it change the sound to drop to 2", and would it effect how the engine runs? I've read about backpressure, and scorching exhaust valves. But from what I read scorched valves are from running fuel to lean, not from no backpressure.

Wha'd-ya-think?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Exhaust Pipe, why downsize? Empty Re: Exhaust Pipe, why downsize?

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:28 pm

dont worry -just use the 2 & 1/2 in stuff it will be easier for you.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:38 pm

buy the 2.5 and get it swedged to fit, then install.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:01 pm

Factory exhaust systems always get smaller as you get to the back. It helps to stabalize back preasure and makes it quieter at the tail pipe.

If your exhaust gets bigger towards the back it will be loader and have that school bus sound. They of how a musical instrument is built.

M1D
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:32 pm

may want to just clamp the glasspack incase you dont like it, i got 2 i installed yestarday (welded) that are coming off in morning.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:07 am

I don't particularly like loud.
    I have a silent muffler with 3" inlet and two 2" outlets
    Exhaust Pipe, why downsize? Dscn2010

And it growls enough when I open it up. Turn up the volume on this vidio.
    https://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/m1dadio/?action=view&current=DSCN1423.mp4

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:00 am

M1D, did you put catalytic converters on yours?
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks for the info, good information..

I went to a swap meet today and bought a glass pack muffler, but got home and found out that its a 3" instead of a 2.5".

If anyone is interested you can have it for what I paid for it. It's fresh out of the box, never used. You can have it for what I paid, $30, plus shipping.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:06 pm

cant you just use a couple adapters/reducers? about $5.00 a peice.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Yes Don, I have a high flow 3" cat on mine.l
    Exhaust Pipe, why downsize? Dscn2011

m1d

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun May 01, 2011 8:22 am

I'm not sure how putting adapters on there would affect the sound, or how well the muffler would work. If I go from 2.5" to 3" then back to 2.5" the drop in pressure as it travels through the muffler may cause it to act more like a straight pipe, or at least make it a lot louder, and not give the sound I'm looking to get. I like the idea of using the adapters to make it work, it would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want to be kicking myself later.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 am

Hey M1 -im curious as to why the cat converter?? Due to needing an oxyger sensor feed back for computer?? or=?? With / for the tpi??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun May 01, 2011 3:04 pm

,,,,,all Pontiacs use them
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sun May 01, 2011 9:44 pm

LMAO ya right Don!

The CAT is for two reasons.
    #1 it keeps the single wire O2 sensor at the right temperature.
    #2 There is no reason why we should not take air polution seriously ; we know its a problem, we have a choice to do the best we personaly can to keep our world clean or ignor the problems we cause.
    On that note, let me rant a bit. I also use an EGR valve and a charcole canister with a complete fuel tank evaporative control system as well as a PCV system and all the other basics like coolant recovery tank.
    My van is a street van not a race car, most of its run time is below half throtle.
    I get lots of coments at car shows about the CAT Many people say the catelectic converter takes away horse power; thats real old school thinking. Maybe an older or cloged cat is a problem, but a new high flow CAT on an engine that runs under 7000 RPM, it dosn't have a measurable effect on power.
    I hear so many vanners crying about fuel economy, the EGR valve system saves me about 4 mile per gallon at highway cruise speed.
    My van delivers 196 hp at the wheels, It will do a 100 foot posi burn out and clear 100 plus mph.
    Would excluding a cateletic converter really make any noticable difference?

I think not.
    M1D
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Although I commend M1Daddio for putting in a cat I am not convinced, from studies I've read, that converting exhaust to sulphuric acid gas as some other flouro carbons is anything more than a shell game by Congress, the EPA and the car companies.

However, running a car lean (like he does via the O2 sensor) and having a way to recover fuel vapor is a really big deal to the environment. Unburned hydrocarbons (evaporants) are almost always much, much worse than burned ones. With that in mind am hoping he and anybody who has set up vapor recovery on the oldies would post pick and a part list. I would like to do the same on my old flattie as I know everytime I open that gas cap or just let my van sit in the sun I'm doing a lot more damage than just running my van well tuned.

Thanks much, Mark
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Heres what ive learned over the years = i wont go with the cat system- ever - There was a time when we had many old typw vehicles on the road - all going down the road burning oil & dirtying the air. Our new oils are allowing our engines to go over 100,000 miles easily- in past times - if we got 70,000 out of them we were facing a rebuild. Our older vans are usually now running rebuilt engines, new oils and better in all ways for us .In not one to like polution - yet- here we are with cleaner air and thats nice- -we have improved in many ways and can still do our part in building our vans like we want to without having to use all the "pollution controlls and newer computers and stuff that our Governments forced us to have on our newer cars. I do believe in "Freedom" and thats my choice to build the old van my way , without adding all the ?modern junk" we are forced to buy on our newer vehicles. I also remember when a performance car gave us over 400 HP and then a =' performace car in the 70's & 80's gave us 150HP and a cruise controll & stereo, leather seats and a phone inside it. Finally we have past all those days - have some nice performance parts & equip. again and are building some nice vans. My vote is to use what we want- build what we want - and hope we never digress to those government controlled days + That once required us to update all our older vehicles up to our newer standards. We can really thank SEMA for getting us to our present stage in that government controlled battle on our older vehicles. Im Happy without all the pollution controlls- but im really glad i dont have to hand crank my V-8 to start it!! My 2 cents worth- still to all Happy Vannin= affraid

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm of the school of thought of "if you do an engine swap, put the same or better emissions control system back in the vehicle". When I did a V8 swap in my Wrangler, to replace the wimpy wheezy 4 banger, I went with a MPFI head/intake/injection setup from a 5.2 out of a '96 Ram. The block is a standard 70's LA 318. Since OBD-II runs before and after cat O2 sensors, I installed a high flow Cat, much like M1D has. OBD-II called for the end of EGR for Chrysler V8 engines (until the new Hemi) and therefore was not required/installed for my application.
    Having said all that, when it comes time to swap a V8 into my A100, it will be carbureted and therefore will not have any emission equipment on it, because nothing was called for. I feel a good running newer engine will always produce lower emissions than an older series of engine.
    But like M1D said, no use spewing out more toxic emissions than necessary. Carbon Dioxide is much easier on the environment than Carbon Monoxide, I dont care who's propogating what on the subject. Plants absorb CO2 and release Oxygen. Nothing in nature absorbs/converts CO into anything, it just hangs around.
    63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by 63chevyvan? Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 am

Got CAT? Got stainless pipe?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 am