VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt

ahearse
    ahearse

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2011-05-11

Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt Empty Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt

Post by ahearse Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Just wanted to let people know if their looking to have dual master cylinder rebuilt I found a company that did my 1967. Their called White Post Restorations out of Virginia. ph. # 540-837-1140 or www.whitepost.com. I sent it to them and got complete rebuild, including resleeved, for $175.00 + $20.00 for shipping. They did a great job. This also includes warranty. Check them out.
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2011-05-01

Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt Empty Re: Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt

Post by ndjarrett Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Cool. Isn't there someplace in TX like that too?
    wildbillinva

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-02-26

Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt Empty Re: Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt

Post by wildbillinva Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 am

yes,
    white post does good work, they did mine several years ago. I live close enough to take it there myself. the person that greeted me, also gave me a quick tour of the whole place. wish I could afford for them to do the whole van, but if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it!
    wildbillinva
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm

I didn't like White Post one bit. Snotty on the phone and poor job on the paint job. They also admitted they only pay about $5 for their rebuild kits. Use Vic instead, support a vanner.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am

Thank You,,, I try to have them in stock but not always that easy. I have to do them in five piece minimums so it adds to the $$$$ sitting on the shelf at times.
    Also, as I have them plated as it gets in all the nooks and cranny's,,, I also have to wait to accumulate enough parts for the minimum on the plating.
    I have them done in brass as I think it is a little bit softer and stands up better than the stainless, also if you get a scratch in the stainless its a bear to hone out and usually pretty deep. Kinda of a toss up on the differences between the two materials.
    One additional step that I do is to machine the outlet ports to be able to use the adapters. You can still use the internal residuals and brass seat if you prefer, but using the adapters converts the threads over for the Wilwood external residuals and an added bonus of no longer needing the brass seat. Machining the outlet port gives you the option of either setup but needs to be done before the plating.
    In order to service or replace the OEM internal residual valve, you need to remove the brass seat which holds it in place and ruin it. ALSO if you over tighten the brake line fitting and crunch the brass seat you have to replace it.
    IMPORTANT!! The double flare on the brake line that contacts the brass seat needs very little pressure in order to seat correctly. IF YOU OVER TIGHTEN the fitting you can or do risk destroying the brass seat. SO, no matter whose unit you use, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN it. Many master cylinders will not leak on the power stroke but can leak on the return stroke if over tightened.
    If needed I have the 10lb OEM residual valves and replacement brass seats in stock as well as the rubber boots. The boots do not fit as nicely as I would prefer, however they are the ONLY ones available...
    Vic

Had 67' master cylinder resleeved/rebuilt 67_mas10
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Really great information. I got this information from you on the Yahoo group a while back and it made my rebuild so much easier. I rebuilt my own master but found it needed a sleeve and had to send it out. Regrettably I did not send it to you, but lesson learned for the rest of us.

My brakes are now better then a lot of cars I have driven. I used to have to wedge my knee under the steering wheel at a stop light, now resting on the pedal is plenty.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am