VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

1967 master cylinder

1967 master cylinder Empty 1967 master cylinder

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:59 pm

I found a remanufactured master cylinder for a 1967 to upgrade my 1964 vuck to dual circuit brakes. The price seems lower than I was expecting though at $32.99 from Autozone. The part number is M1353. Is this right and what all is required to upgrade my system besides the master cylinder and new hard lines?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

1967 master cylinder Empty Re: 1967 master cylinder

Post by G-Man Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm pretty sure you'll need the pedal from a 67 also to make that work

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Im looking to upgrade to a dual reservoir master cylinder because the single I have now leaks and I only get about 2 good pumps before I'm out of fluid. I don't want to replace it with another stock unit and have the same problem in the future. These things don't have a crush zone and I like my legs lol so I want to be as safe as possible.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Its my experience that the rebuild kit alone cost more than that. Somethings wrong with this picture........
    Just did some additional checking and since theres no picture I ll bet its not available at all.The single master cylinder alone is around $100. The 67 dual master is like gold. Very hard to locate,even harder as more time passes. G-Man is correct. You also need the 67 pedal,pushrod,distribution block,and brake light switch. A rebuildable core and associated parts runs $200 or more. As time passes that price will only go higher Im sure.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Themodernform has a kit that uses a wilwood master cylinder but it seems a bit pricey. Are there any other alternatives to this?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 pm

If your want a dual cyl there will be more costs than just swapping them out. there a kit out there to do the job. Maybe one of our econoheads can give you a link to them

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Dennis at dddiscbrakes.com makes a dual bowl remote fill master cylinder kit that bolts right in. I use them on all of my Econos. The remote fill is a great mod since you can put the bowl anywhere you want so it is easily accessible. Dennis also makes a great front disc brake kit for our Econos.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 am

If you aren't set on the 67 only master then like Mike said the D and D conversion bracket is the next best alternative,plus you wind up with remote fill. It's been proven a good alternative for years now.
    If you need a complete stock 67 core setup for rebuilding,I have only one left.
    If you want one already rebuilt,plated and ready to bolt in like stock,Vic,aka Olkskool on this site has those available also. In addition,Vic also sells a very nice remote fill setup for the 67 master.
    That's pretty much your best choices depending on what you want and what your budget is.
    Both D and D and Vic offer disc brake conversion kits which are both good alternatives.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 am

Vic (oldschool) makes a very nice looking M/C and disc brake kit that works great. Dennis doesn't plate his but his kits are very dependable and affordable.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:24 pm

I have 6 67 master cylinders for sale, complete with the pedal, valve, pushrod etc. They will need to be sleeved and rebuilt.
    Fred

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:35 pm