VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Master cylinder

trado
    trado

Number of posts : 52
    Registration date : 2013-07-03

Master cylinder Empty Master cylinder

Post by trado Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Need to rebuild the master cylinder on the 62 econoline falcon. Was looking on macs site and it says 11 or 13 coil spring but my spring has 10 coils and it looks like its not broken so not sure. Anyone help me on this. Too
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Master cylinder Empty Re: Master cylinder

Post by Old Skool Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 pm

COILS???????????????????? What in the world does that mean and better yet what does that have to do with an early Master Cylinder????????????
    Dont even try to rebuild it, you can get a brand new one for about $100 or so. They are still manufactured for fork lifts as well as ours......
    CENTRIC makes them and MOST auto parts stores have them or can order them,, no big deal. Why battle pitts in the bore and residual valve hang ups??
    CENTRIC PART # 130.65007
    vIC
    trado
    trado

Post by trado Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:49 am

Vic I am assuming they are refering to the turns in the springs??? My master cylinder actually looks good on the inside just life lost out of the cups as far as I can tell which is why I was going to just rebuild. I ordered a set from Rock so I will try this first.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:46 pm

I wish you good luck,, trurely,,,, A rebuild kit is listed by car,, if the guy asked you how many turns in the piston spring there was, he must be thinking of the ones on the Mars rover??????? Truely,, showing his experience level???????? Sorry,,
    In 45 years that one is a 1ST PLACE for me,,, LOL.....(no fair in how old I am),,,,,,, I rebuild masters all the time and have all the cup types and sizes you an imagine here in stock. I have always found the earlies to be more problamatic in rebuilding, between pitts in the bore that only an inside bore light will show, and the residual valve all the way in the back,,,, If its bad,, I usually just get a new one. For a measley $100 bucks for a new one it seems a little shoot myself in the foot to just not put in a new one,,, just my opinion. The ones that have been replaced in the short 50 years of being used,,,,LOL.....have a plastic cap on them, the OEM with a hex metal cap that is always rusted in place. SIX POINT sockets only on the metal ones or guess what?
    For me,, with some thing as serious as brakes go,,, I would put all new wheel cylinders in , new master, and flush the lines. Be done with it,, no more frantic posts about ending up in some ones front porch and just missing the dog, no one killed or mamed,, on to the carb flooding when you shut it off,,,,, LOL.....
    Just my thinking,,,
    vic
    trado
    trado

Post by trado Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Definately lots of wisdom spoken there Vic and going to rethink my way a little. My son will drive this and I am not going to risk anything for a couple bucks. Thanks Vic.

Ps. Anything on them wiper parts yet lol
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Thnx, for the reminder,, cant take a peek until Tuesday afternoon,, shouldnt be a problem....
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm