VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
Joe Van
westcoastvanner
Jay 13
dix
Space Truckin
kookykrispy
mikeysly
Donn
G-Man
Wheelie
HandiVanMan
tommyfogarty
16 posters

Stolen 1963 Econo P'up

tommyfogarty
    tommyfogarty

Number of posts : 126
    Registration date : 2013-03-24

Stolen 1963 Econo P'up Empty Stolen 1963 Econo P'up

Post by tommyfogarty Mon May 06, 2013 11:04 am

Hello all-

My name is Tom Fogarty and I am a new member here. I am looking for my 1963 Econo Pickup. VIN is E10TH382493. Here is the story, without names. The truck was at a shop in Sebastopol, CA until at least October of 2012 (a former employee at the shop thinks it was there until January of 2013). At that point the shop owner, apparently needing money, supposedly sold the truck. The truck is still titled and registered to me. The owner claims that a "Dutch guy named William bought it and shipped it to Holland". I believe strongly the truck is still in the US and that he defrauded whoever bought it, telling them that it was his vehicle.

I have NOT reported the truck stolen yet, as I am advised that once it becomes a criminal matter my options become limited as far as taking the guy to court. I am betting that the truck is still around, and I just want it back. The beef is with the shop owner- I don't want to make anyone else's life difficult. I just want my truck back. The owner has been contacted by an attorney and he will have this week to "play ball". After that, it's a stolen vehicle.

The truck, last I saw it, was primer light grey, red painted interior, 302 V8 with a partially installed C4 auto and front disc brakes.

Any help would be appreciated and any info will be kept confidential. My email is tommyfogarty@gmail.com. As I say, I have no interest in making anyone's life difficult. I JUST WANT MY TRUCK BACK.

Thanks all!!
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Stolen 1963 Econo P'up Empty Re: Stolen 1963 Econo P'up

Post by HandiVanMan Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 pm

I strongly suggest that you report it stolen ASAP! If someone gets it registered in their name you will have no case be it a criminal or private case.
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Mon May 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Wow, sorry about your situation. Some Shop owners just blow me away how crooked they can be. I will keep my eye out for you truck. I do suggest if you don't find it soon I would claim it stolen.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Yes don't mess around, send him to jail
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Mon May 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Maybe do a "vin search" to see if someone has registered It in a different name, maybe if so it may help you to find it.
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Mon May 06, 2013 6:01 pm

HOLY $HIT!!!!
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 pm

If its stolen, then report it stolen. I don't see how you could have any civil case if you did not report it stolen ASAP when you discovered it was gone. At least call and talk to the police for advice if nothing less.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 pm

You have been posting here since March 24, 2013 and this is your first post in reference to someone STEALING your truck? REPORT IT STOLEN!!!! Question , I am sympathetic to your situation, but why in the world have you not reported in 3-4 months What a Face Am I missing something Suspect
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon May 06, 2013 7:18 pm

I'D AGREE WITH THE COMMENTS ABOVE. SOUNDS LIKE YOU FEEL SORRY FOR THE SHOP OWNER THAT STOLE IT, AND THEN SOLD IT ???? HE DOESN'T FEEL SORRY FOR YOU DOES HE.

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Tue May 07, 2013 4:46 am

What?If somebody stole my van the s**t would hit the fan and you can bet the cops would be involved as well as the local media.What kind of shadey shop steals and sells a truck without being held accountable
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Post by westcoastvanner Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 am

What are you thinking... REPORT IT STOLEN! I hope to hell, it has not been parted out!
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Post by westcoastvanner Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 am

Can you post a photo of the truck?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Stolen 1963 Econo P'up Empty Stolen 1963 Econo P'up

Post by Joe Van Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 am

It should have been reported stolen the day you realized it was missing. In Florida you can apply for Salavge Quick Title and get a new title in about 1/2 hour for $10.00 .THE worst thing is haveing something stolen especially a VAN / PICK UP. YOU should report it today!!!!!!!and not wast any more time.I hate too say it but after 3-4 months I am with westcoastvanner it is probley parted out and long gone..... Sad ... (Sorry) ....JOE VAN....

Last edited by JOE VAN on Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 am

"What kind of shady shop steals and sells a truck without being held accountable?"

I don't know the OP or the shop, so this is just guessing.
    Seems the OP left his PU in a shop for many months. This is not normal. Either the shop was waiting on parts (doubtful but possible on hard to find stuff), or the OP didn't have the money to pay for services.

If this is the case and the PU sat in the shop with an unpaid bill for months without some sort of agreement for this in writing between the OP and the shop, the shop does have the right to declare a mechanic's lien on it and then sell it for the unpaid bill and storage. Any money collected beyond the bill and storage should be returned to the OP, but the rest of the scenario is quite legit. The shop owner and the new owner are completely legal.

Again, I do not know either party, only what has been posted. But the OP not knowing when the PU was last there by many months (!) and not wanting to press charges (!) sounds like this might be the case.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Tue May 07, 2013 8:34 am

YOU NEED TO REPORT IT NOW, ITS PROBABLY PARTED OUT BY NOW. BUT I WOULDNT LET THE GARAGE GET AWAY WITH IT,!!!
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Post by Space Truckin Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 am

RodStRace wrote:"What kind of shady shop steals and sells a truck without being held accountable?"

I don't know the OP or the shop, so this is just guessing.
    Seems the OP left his PU in a shop for many months. This is not normal. Either the shop was waiting on parts (doubtful but possible on hard to find stuff), or the OP didn't have the money to pay for services.

If this is the case and the PU sat in the shop with an unpaid bill for months without some sort of agreement for this in writing between the OP and the shop, the shop does have the right to declare a mechanic's lien on it and then sell it for the unpaid bill and storage. Any money collected beyond the bill and storage should be returned to the OP, but the rest of the scenario is quite legit. The shop owner and the new owner are completely legal.

Again, I do not know either party, only what has been posted. But the OP not knowing when the PU was last there by many months (!) and not wanting to press charges (!) sounds like this might be the case.

Nailed it Rod!!! Idea
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 am

HandiVanMan wrote:I strongly suggest that you report it stolen ASAP! If someone gets it registered in their name you will have no case be it a criminal or private case.

what he said. report it stolen asap.

I sold a hot rod '72 Chevelle to guy once and it was stolen out of his driveway exactly 7 days later. The State called him about two years later to come retrieve his vehicle. Evidently some bangers stole it, took it to the ghetto, stripped it and abandoned the body in an old parking lot.

Some other thug took the body and put a motor and parts back into it to get it roadworthy, when he tried to register it in his name it popped up stolen and the state confiscated it.

On a side note, I'd be reporting it stolen (by the shop it was at) and that shop owner would have some 'splainin to do.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue May 07, 2013 3:29 pm

lot of good points Rod. And i do agree with you I have heard of this before.

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Tue May 07, 2013 4:06 pm

in ohio a garage owner can put in an applacation for a mechanics lean after 6 months and it takes just as long for the dmv to issue a new tital so after one year the garage would own the van, if the garage did it by the book, i dont know how it works in other states
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Theres a lot more to the story. Tom paid the shop over $10,000 and when money got tight he had an agreement to pay $100 a month for storage until he got more money to complete the project. He posted a longer version of the story on facebook.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Post by Space Truckin Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 pm

EconoUSAparts wrote:Theres a lot more to the story. Tom paid the shop over $10,000 and when money got tight he had an agreement to pay $100 a month for storage until he got more money to complete the project. He posted a longer version of the story on facebook.

WHY HAS HE NOT REPORTED IT STOLEN Question Question Question
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 pm

He'll have to answer that
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm

One of my contractors has had customers who has been in similar situations but we have never taken a customers vehicle and sold it to pay the debt. We have relationships with them and realize shit happens. We also stay in contact about budget and reach a stopping point when the budget runs out or out of the comfort zone. We front the work as well and allow payments in most cases. We always work something out. They also have the option to pick up the vehicle or we can store it during lulls. Usually for free too if we have the room. That is what a trustworthy shop should do. Im not saying we dont have bad experiences as well but we always have a solution where usually both parties are happy. This is only MY opinion but only a struggling shop or shop in trouble would ever do that if what the OP said is true. I dont see as a reasonable business person that this would happen unless the guys a crook or the whole story isnt on the table.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 pm