VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
RodStRace
Joe Van
G-Man
trevorDBSC
8 posters

1st gen v8 conversions

trevorDBSC
    trevorDBSC

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2013-03-21

1st gen v8 conversions Empty 1st gen v8 conversions

Post by trevorDBSC Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:27 pm

hey guys, i've only been on the forum a couple months now. i've been looking for a van pretty hard. found one, now i'm about to restore/customize it. i want to put a 350 with a 700 r4 trans in it. i'm just wondering what you guys have done? what year motors are better than others and why. i've always been a vintage motorcycle guy and am just venturing into the van world so my knowledge in these motors is limited.
    can ya school me?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

1st gen v8 conversions Empty Re: 1st gen v8 conversions

Post by G-Man Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Any small block can be done, you'll have to mod your 1st gen doghouse or find a 2nd gen one for the V8
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

1st gen v8 conversions Empty 1st gen v8 conversons

Post by Joe Van Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:55 am

The biggest problem you will have is the motor box the engine bolts right in and the crossmember on mine is a universal tube one from speedway motors and all you have to do is weld a coulple of steel plates to the frame to bolt it too with the th350 the original driveshaft bolted right in you may have to shorten yours for a over drive one. You can modify your original dog house but its still tight you can try to find a second GEN one 67-70 but there a quite of few people looking for them.The Radiator on mine is a factory 3 core and cools my 307 v8 just fine. Maby try to make a custom dog house find a good welding shop to help out. Check out Digz thread getting stoopid on ideas on the motor box.Try to find a pre 85 chevy van or car (caprice, malibu)??? 350 motor with out fuel injection. Carbs are much easer to work on and a lot less wireing also.......... cheers ....JOE.....
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:42 am

Any talk of swaps requires talking about the owner's skill levels and budget.
    No skills/tools/work area and no money = better to not start. Just get it running as-is. Otherwise, it often gets taken apart and not finished.
    No skills/tools/work area and a TON of money = have a restoration or hot rod shop build it! Very Happy
    Some skills/tools/work area and 2K = can be done, must find everything cheap and make stuff work.

Major skills/tools/work area and some money = Get started after researching crates VS a donor.
    A crate engine and trans can be great and have a warranty. They do tend to nickel and dime you on all the little add-ons, but working with all new parts is nice provided they all fit together nice.
    A donor will have almost all the little stuff you need, will have a bunch of stuff you can sell/trade for the other stuff. But you will have to skin your knuckles, clean and paint all of it and it will be used and worn unless you freshen it.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:28 am

In our archives - Gvans are many mods -engine boxes, driveshafts , motor & tranny mounts also. cheers
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I think Trevors van already has a 305 with the tranny sitting in it. So the commitment to a V8 is already there. The rest is a matter of details and what you want to end up with. Starting from scratch you have options you can consider depending on your resources like Rod says.
    You might be suprised with the how the 305 performs in one of these. With the right gears it still could be a lot of fun to drive.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 pm

I had a 305 in a 86 chevy van and the thing screamed down the road. If it's already in there give it a try for a while
    trevorDBSC
    trevorDBSC

Post by trevorDBSC Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:29 pm

the 305 in it was just sitting on the mounts and it stays with the seller. theres no tranny mount yet either so i`m open to anything. he gave me another 305 but its crusty so i fugured if i`m gonna go big i might as well go BIG. i`ve never built a small block but i`m fully confident that i have what it takes. i`ve built countless motorcycle engines.i like the idea of getting a good condition doner engine and rebuilding it. i like to know how things work and it will make for easier troubleshooting if i break down.
    i`ll check out some old threads and do some reading!

thanks for the inupt guys! and hey, did you here i bought a van!
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Have a look through these pictures. This took about a year of spare time and about $7K doing everything myself and not re-building the engine or trans.

https://s119.photobucket.com/user/m1dadio/library/?sort=3&page=1

M1D
    trevorDBSC
    trevorDBSC

Post by trevorDBSC Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:53 pm

thanks for the link. nice build!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon May 06, 2013 6:51 pm

trevorDBSC
    trevorDBSC

Post by trevorDBSC Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 am

donivan65 wrote:here is a post on trans mounts,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t17256p15-custom-700r4-crossmember

thanks for the link! i like the 3rd gen crossmember set up. anybody got a source for that?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:45 pm