VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

200R4 or 700R4 Conversions

Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

200R4 or 700R4  Conversions Empty 200R4 or 700R4 Conversions

Post by Oldsmobubble Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 am

Who's running these? How did you make the shifter and TV cable work? I have a 200R4 in my Olds 442 and it works well with the stock dualgate shifter and a "TV made easy" throttle plate adapter from Bowtie overdrives. B&M makes a TC lockup switch that is adjustable to the speed of the vehicle via the speedo cable. Presently I'm using a bocsh on/off switch but will be installing the B&M switch.
    Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

200R4 or 700R4  Conversions Empty Re: 200R4 or 700R4 Conversions

Post by Oldsmobubble Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:09 am

Here's a good tech explanation about how the TV cable works. Bowtie Overdrives (in CA) imo is the leading company in conversions and has done a great job with their "TV made EZ" system for most 4bl carbs. I use this system on my Olds, and will use it on my van.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

this is the introduction to the 3 part article at the link above.

A typical 700R4/2004R installation costs between $1000 to $2500, requires many hours of labor, skinned knuckles and no small amount of thought, ingenuity and fabrication skills. We find a very large percentage of people who have installed these overdrives have no idea how they should behave or what they're actually capable of doing. With that thought in mind, let us offer you the following:

* Up shift at the appropriate time when using light throttle.
    * Shift with a moderate firmness at light throttle.
    * Shift firmness and delay should increase proportionally to the amount of throttle applied.
    * Under specific conditions, all Th-700R4 and Th-2004R transmissions should perform the following downshifts:
    o Fourth gear to third gear
    o Fourth gear to second gear
    o Fourth gear to first gear
    o Third gear to second gear
    o Third gear to first gear
    * They shouldn't shuttle back and forth from 4th (overdrive to third) while just trying to maintain the appropriate highway speed.
    * Wide open Throttle upshift points should feel firm and occur at the correct RPM.

Most Hot Rodders have read a number of articles emphasizing how "critical" the set up of the TV cable system is to these nifty overdrive transmissions. The same articles offer little in the way of a reasonable solution concerning how to set up the TV system between a performance aftermarket carburetor and the transmission. These articles usually offer impossible to understand diagrams of how the TV system cable needs to be pulled or a procedure to try. However when they try the procedure the transmission doesn't behave the way they know it should. The results is most of these folks become so intimidated by this "mystery" system that they readily accept terrible transmission behavior because they fear ruining their new transmission by not getting it right! We at Bow Tie Overdrives have always felt these wonderful overdrive automatic transmissions should be the very centerpiece a high performance vehicle and not have their potential performance compromised in any way!

This whole section of your web site is devoted to helping folks get these wonderful transmissions operating properly so they can enjoy their new overdrive transmission to its fullest! The subsequent sections will offer a comprehensive explanation of this complex system, simple tools and how to use them so you can maximize the performance of your Th-700R4 or Th-2004R with absolute confidence you will not do something to damage it in the process.

Click here for the EZ solution! Click here to read our TV System 101 article!
    If you are in the need for a solution to your behavior problems, check out our precisly engineered systems that we have available for most of the popular carurators / fuel injection setups. If you would like more information on the TV system it's self, check out our article entitled, "TV System 101". This is a 3 part series covering many topics.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 am

Thank You- I am aware of this company & have read their articles. Nice .- What im needing is the pros & cons of the install between the different tranys- doghouses extended DH?? and which tranny is best for performance & longevity.I have a 2nd gen and am aware of the tranny mounts - I also have a ?? 4th gen '86 chev for parts if needed - trans xmember , ect. I do apprecieate all that you said & all that will be advised-great Group.Thanx
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:11 pm

I like the 700r4 better than the 200, 700 is cheaper to build to take
    hp, 700s are easier to come up with, I have installed a 700 in a 67
    90inch chevy with a 250, no mods to the doghouse, just the driveshaft
    and the trans mount and you will need to fab the tv cable mount and
    throttle attachment. the most challenging part of the swap was the tv
    cable mount and attachment points. we throttle body injected the six
    so the throttle body end was no problem the cable mount took some
    thinking. once all finished it was worth all the trouble, made a great
    driver out of a van that worked its butt off doing 70 mph.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:08 pm