VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
m1dadio
panelmanrd
Vanish
7 posters

Got some Questions on Dog House Conversions .....

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Empty Got some Questions on Dog House Conversions .....

Post by Vanish Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:10 pm

I was Wondering about the second Gen Dog House conversion !!! When this is Being Done ..Do You use a second gen engine cross member as well ???? or do you stay with the first gen engine cross member ???? also ... after the second gen dog house has been installed . has any one also used the second gen 4 Row Radiator as well ???? all the vans I can remember with the second gen Dog house have had a different Radiator set up in them !!!! is there a Reason for this ???? Thanks' for any help you can give me on this !!!!!!

panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Empty Re: Got some Questions on Dog House Conversions .....

Post by panelmanrd Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:41 pm

I used the second gen dh
    kept the first gen crossmember.
    the reason for using the 4 row crossflow
    radiator is because, usually the second gen
    dh has the upper rad mount already made on it.
    and all you have to do to make that rad work is
    the lower rad crossmember, and you are in like flynn.
    although some of the 2nd gen dh are from 6 cyl vans
    and do not use the cross flow rad and have to come up
    with something else.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Empty Re: Got some Questions on Dog House Conversions .....

Post by Vanish Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:48 pm

panelmanrd wrote:I used the second gen dh
    kept the first gen crossmember.
    the reason for using the 4 row crossflow
    radiator is because, usually the second gen
    dh has the upper rad mount already made on it.
    and all you have to do to make that rad work is
    the lower rad crossmember, and you are in like flynn.
    although some of the 2nd gen dh are from 6 cyl vans
    and do not use the cross flow rad and have to come up
    with something else.

So Did you use the 4 row Crossflow stock second gen Rad in your conversion ???? Most the vans I have looked at use a Down flow first gen style Radiator !!! I geuss what I am asking ... after you get the dog house in the van .. is there Room for the stock second gen Radiator set up ???? sure seems like that would be the way to go ... But almost all if not all the vans I have seen havent had the second gen Cross flow in them ??????

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 pm

I used a 2nd gen dog house which was from a V8 van. I also used the 2nd gen 4 core cross flow.
    Even though the dog house has an upper rad mount I changed that to my own upper rad mount that was closed in to control air flow and Like another vanner since my instalation I used the 2nd gen lower rad cross member but also I reversed it to move the rad forward at the bottom and moved the rad mounting cups over for rad fit tightest to the passanger side.

I used the 1st gen engine cross member.
    click on the picture for full view
    Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Dscn0810

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Dscn0811

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Dscn0812

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Dscn0310

M1D
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:09 am

There are two different 2nd gen radiator set-ups. The downflow, and then the crossflow. The crossflow was used for v8's or for sixes where additional cooling was required (optional). The radiator mounts are completely different between the crossflow and downflow radiator doghouses.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 pm

What Vanish is asking is has anyone also put the 2nd Gen crossflow radiator in when they put a 2nd Gen doghouse in their van or did you use the same, an Aluminum or some other type of radiator......

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  Repair24
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Post by panelmanrd Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

I did mine almost identical to m1d`s
    second gen dh first gen crossmember with
    a 350 fits nice.
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:16 pm

someone once said useing a 2nd gen motor cradle in a 1th gen van drops the motor lower true or not i don,t know i have a extra one was going to use it in my no-door with a v8 dog house
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:36 pm

With the exception of Just a Couple ... all the second Gen dog House Conversions .. almost always use the first gen Rad and I was wondering why ??? Sure seems like a lot of work Not to take advantage of that Bigger Radiator ... I was thinking there Must Be a Problem there ?????

Bear
    Bear

Post by Bear Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:39 pm

i agree big is allways better
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Here's the 2 side by side. 1st on the left. The height looks the same to me. What I did notice was it looks like the 2nd gen might move the engine forward if used in a 1st?? I've never been around a 2nd gen enough to know how they are set up.
    Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  1st_an10
    I'm pretty sure I have them facing in the same direction by the offset.
    Bear
    Bear

Post by Bear Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 pm

yea like i said it was talked about i think over at vcvc long time ago but intersting there is a differnce in the two thanks digz that may come handy in fabing with motor more forward.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Vanish wrote:With the exception of Just a Couple ... all the second Gen dog House Conversions .. almost always use the first gen Rad and I was wondering why ??? Sure seems like a lot of work Not to take advantage of that Bigger Radiator ... I was thinking there Must Be a Problem there ?????

There isn't a quick and easy way to hang the 2nd gen rad saddle on a 1st gen that I could see, I've looked into it myself. Gman had a bracket made that incorporated the 1st and 2nd gen mounts to hold up an aftermarket X flow but probably would have worked on a stock X.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Well I am going to Put a second gen Chevy Dog House in a Econoline .... and also going to have a tunnel .... But back to the Chevys !!! a second gen dog House ... in a first gen ... Just Don't seem Like it would be that Good of an Upgrade .. with out that Big 4 Row Cross flow Radiator to go with it !!!!! seems to me if your going to keep the down flow ( smaller Radiator )... you would be better off with a Tunnel and those Tin Boxes on both sides ??? Thoughts ????

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Other than giving the engine a little more room and the air a little better chance to escape I'd have to agree with you. Just a note , my crossflow rad is the same sq inches as the 1st gen rad was and a 2 core aluminum.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  2nd_ge11
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 am

Hey Don , are the 2nd gen 6 banger rads wider than the 1st gens then?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am

The 2nd gen radiator is 1 inch wider than a 1st gen,,,,,,,,however,,,,,,,if you put that weird 1st gen SportVan right side tank strap that bolts right to the doghouse on a 2nd gen radiator,,,,it will fit,,,,,,thats what I have in my van right now,,,,,,

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  1st_ge10
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks Don. One more question. How does the 2nd gen Xflow core compare in sq inches to the 2nd gen 6 banger?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 am

The downflow core is about 19x17, while the crossflow is 18x22,,,,,,,however the crossflow is thicker for the 4 row of tubes it has,,,,,,

Got some Questions on  Dog House Conversions .....  4_row_10
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks again, Looking at the pics of the two, I wouldn't have thought that much difference in surface area. But 73 sq is alot , especially tossing in more cores.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Post by panelmanrd Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

I was looking at the two crossmembers and
    the difference has to be is where they are bolted in the
    frame because the trannys are the same length
    and the drive shafts are the same length on the 90 inchers
    whether it is the first or the second gen.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm

panelmanrd wrote:I was looking at the two crossmembers and
    the difference has to be is where they are bolted in the
    frame because the trannys are the same length
    and the drive shafts are the same length on the 90 inchers
    whether it is the first or the second gen.
    That sure would make sense. One thing I think I have learned from the forums and what I have tried,,Is there is very little between a 1st and 2nd that is a bolt in swap. Other than most of the same skin,, 2 different animals.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Post by panelmanrd Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:47 pm

it is amazing just how much won`t swap from
    1st to 2nd. springs, axles, engine crossmember,
    the drag link is different, steering arm on left
    spindle, sway bar, the spindles will swap.
    I do know that a 2nd outer steering column will
    fit the 1st stering box, lets you use the 2nd gen
    turn signal switch along with any 67 and up gm
    steering wheel, and you also get 4 way flashers to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:24 pm