VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
vanny
G-Man
campin'fool 2
7 posters

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!)

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Empty New Guy (making transition and saying hello!)

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi all,
    I am new to Vans but have always had a love for them, especially the old ones!
    I am looking at (possibly) buying a 1967 GMC Handi-Bus Custom that I found at a local custom shop. As I am a veteran of many (too many!) years of Jeeps, I was wondering if there were any "MUSTs" to look for or look out for when going over a GMC Van -- besides the obvious body, motor, interior inspections, and the likes. For instance, Jeeps had monster problems with fuel delivery issues and frame rust where the fuel tank was bolted; info like that I am looking for.

So far, I love this site: great info and the community seems pretty professional and laid back (not like some of my Jeepers, unfortunately). Speaking of Jeeps, I have only owned Jeep GrandWagoneers, and after this last one, I am ready to move on to a new genre o' cool wheels. I put over 40K into costuming the Jeep and as soon as I sell it (fingers crossed) I want to look at the Handi-Bus.
    So, any suggestions on what to look for/look out for? I will probably do a minor custom job on it, if I buy it. And I will post pics as soon as I figure out how (not too tech-savvy here!).
    Cheers all!

btw, anyone know if I can fit an AMC 401 motor (565BHP / 892 torques!) into a GMC Handi-Bus? lol!!
    campin'fool 2
    campin'fool 2

Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2013-02-02

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Empty Re: New Guy (making transition and saying hello!)

Post by campin'fool 2 Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Welcome to V-V!! This is a very cool site. Depending on what part of the country your in rust is always something to look closely for, even the roof especially is it's in a coastal area.
    I'm sure someone else will be here soon with more info for you.
    Again, Welcom to V-V!!

Joel
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Empty Re: New Guy (making transition and saying hello!)

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Like you said body is really the key to the best van, check around the drip rail , by the gas cap and lower rockers. Most parts can be still had, some you have to wait and willing to pay for harder to find custom parts.

Welcome!!! to VV You being a Jeep guy I'm sure you know this, but Willy's did make a Jeep Van very rare for sure. I have only seen a picture of one
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14777
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:01 pm

G-Man, I was just reading this and you may have answered a question for me. I was driving home from work last week and saw this two towns over from me. I had never seen one before. Is this what you were talking about(Jeep Van)?

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Jeepva10

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:00 pm

G-man and Camping, thank you!
    I live in Colorado Springs and the van has been in Colorado for its entire life; documented too!
    There is some superficial rust on the nose and sound the "Handi-Bus Custom" badge on the passenger side, but it is really very light (I liked my finger and rubbed some off, too easy!).
    The Roof material and gutters are in excellent condition too!
    I am heading back Monday with a mechanic, I'll take more pics and try to post them.
    Thanks again!
    campin'fool 2
    campin'fool 2

Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2013-02-02

Post by campin'fool 2 Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Sounds like a good find SyFy. Good luck on the purchase. Looking forward to pictures!!

Joel
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 am

Welcome to VV SyFy. Good luck with your sale and possibly a new purchase of a handi-bus. You have come to the right place.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 am

SyFy being out west your chances of finding a good body are much better than being out east. Sounds already to be a good van. GMC's are rarer than Chevy, not worth over but not as many.

vanny I think that van is a Mer/bens??? Not 100% on that

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:59 am

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:18 am

This is the one I'm talking about
    New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Steven10
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Number of posts : 165
    Registration date : 2011-07-28

Post by Zuffen Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:05 pm

The van on the driveway is a Pinzgauer.

4x4 and they come in 6x6 and are about the ultimate off road vehicle.

Almost all sold to the Military, a few for forestry work.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14777
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks Zuffen, I figured if I posted it, someone would know what it was. Vanny

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Chroma66
    Chroma66

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Post by Chroma66 Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:27 am

Welcome! You came to the right place.

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Empty new to the site

Post by Guest Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 pm

hello , good bye

Last edited by 73 G10 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had too)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12227
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:19 pm

,,,If it is a 73, it is too new for us,,,,,,we have the originals,,,,,,1964 to 70,,,,,,,

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Empty really too new ? wow some a holes on here ,,,, screw this crap

Post by Guest Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:27 pm

really too new ?  
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:37 pm

,,,there are sites for everything,,,,,this one just happens to be specifically for the American vans without hoods,,,,,,the Vintage Vans,,,,,a 1973 would belong on a site like Vannin.com
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Let me explain the difference,,,,,,The originals, the Earlys,,,,,,the Vintage vans,,, do not have a hood,,,,,the engine is inside, between the seats,,,,you sit on the radiator,,,,,they never came with power steering or brakes,,,,or air conditioning,,,they have a solid I beam axle up front from the 1920's or something,,,,,,,,,they tip over easy,,,,,they are primitive,,,,,they are NOTHING like the vans with hoods,,,,the parts are different,,hard to find,,,,,so we stick together,,,,you have a way better handling, more comfortable, safer vehicle than we do,,,,,you say van is a van,,,,,,thats like signing up your Yamaha on a Harley site,,,,,,I doubt that they think a motorcycle is a motorcycle,,,,,,,but hang around and see how much fun a Vintage Van can be,,,,,,and get one.........

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:33 pm

SORRY I am well aware of what they are had one in the 70s 65 ford with a 302 in it ... not interested in another ... been their done that ! WE had them all down the line . And yes the bottom line is a van is a van .. lunch box with wheels , I"ll keep mine , fact is their all cool but it seems this site has prejudicial issues kinda weird , you all have fun .
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:45 pm

It not so much that, we just can't help you in any way with parts, repairs etc.... Your welcome to stay , but we talk only early vans
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 pm

But if you really want to share your  van, we do have a section set aside for vehicles that aint old enough to fit in,,,,,,,

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) Early_11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:31 pm

There are other van sites,,,,,this one just happens to be  for Vintage Vans,,,,,,thats why we come here,,,,,,,,that's what we want,,,,thats what we like,,,,,,,,its not a crime.......

New Guy (making transition and saying hello!) What_v11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:51 am