VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Front & Rear Shock Absorber Replacement Help

NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Front & Rear Shock Absorber Replacement Help Empty Front & Rear Shock Absorber Replacement Help

Post by NoBiggie Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Read through the messages here and got some good info on shocks, but still not sure what to get. I have seen Monroe and Gabriel seem to be the choice, but RockAuto has a few others. ACDelco and they KYB GR-2 / Excel-G for the rear.

This was good info on the rear shocks:

(begin quote)
    Stock rear shock part # 32207

Compressed length.....11 1/4"
    Extended lenth...........17 7/8"
    Travel Length............. 6 5/8"

Monroe Max Air Part# MA 768

Compressed length...... 12"
    Extended length .......18 1/2"
    Travel length ............. 6"

Monroe Gas Magnum
    Compressed......11 7/8"
    Extended...18 1/8"
    Travel.....6 1/4" (end of quote)

They also have the rear KYB:
    KYB Excel G
    Compressed Length 11.18"
    Extended Length 18.07"
    Stroke 6.89

Which of the above would you prefer?

Is there any info similar to above on the front shock? Or does anyone have a brand and part they have used with success? I have my fronts off now, will do the rear shocks later.

Thanks! NoBiggie in KC

NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Front & Rear Shock Absorber Replacement Help Empty Re: Front & Rear Shock Absorber Replacement Help

Post by NoBiggie Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I went with the KYB shocks just to close this thread out.

In case anyone else is looking in the future, here are the part numbers.

Shockwarehouse.com - $170.00 for all four, free shipping.

Front Shocks - Part No. KG5438

Link for front:
    http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=181723

Rear Shocks - Part No. KG5401R KYB Gasajust Monotube

Link for rear:
    http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=181721

EcoPU
    EcoPU

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Front & Rear Shock Absorber Replacement Help Empty Re: Front & Rear Shock Absorber Replacement Help

Post by EcoPU Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for this I bought the KyB package, nice shocks. Of course the ones on my truck weren't even rebounding anymore lol
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:00 pm

A couple of things to consider:
    The original mounts were NOT designed for air shocks or coil-overs. They were built to control damping, not support the axle. Even gas shocks transmit more force than originally designed. Inspect the mounts especially the body side before mounting.

The original shocks were tuned for skinny bias-ply tires, varying weight loads and lower total and cornering speeds. Every shock these days is probably tuned more for radials and more ride control.
    This is a good thing, but some may end up a bit harsh. Try to get honest feedback from other vanners who have relitively the same van, weight, wheel/tire combo and ride expectations.

Also realize that all the other parts must be in good shape for the shocks to work properly. They won't fix sagging springs, shot bushings, worn or misadjusted steering, and sloppy axle anchors.
    Rolling bare and unloaded will also be harsher than having a full interior and ice chest!
    LongBeachCA66
    LongBeachCA66

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2013-06-24

Post by LongBeachCA66 Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 am

I just ordered my shocks

part numbers from monroe site for a 66 econoline (they listed same part numbers for 170 or 240 motor, they did not have an option to distinguish for HD suspension option.) But like Rod said, new shocks are more agressive than those from 50+ years ago so I'm sure these will be fine on an HD truck.

REAR: Monroe 34904 $25.94 from amazon (choose seller justsuspension) free shipping and no tax
    FRONT: Monroe 34802 $26.49 from amazon (choose seller justsuspension) free shipping and no tax
    prices were a few bucks higher from amazon prime and I was getting charged tax (CA) if items came from them.
    $104.86 total no shipping and no tax.

Amazon had the front KYBs listed above for a bit cheaper ($35 vs $42 at shockwarehouse), they did not have the rear part number listed from above.

Since I plan on lowering in the future I decided just to go with the cheapest option since I will probably end up having to remeasure the geometry myself and pick a slightly shorter application. Monroe had some slightly cheaper models but they were designed around passenger vehicles, the part numbers I mentioned above are designed for trucks, and they were also highlighted as a premium product over the cheaper passenger car ones.
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 am

For those that have purchased new shocks,
    what's the ride of the KYBs and Monroes? Good bump response? Cornering feel? Any harshness?
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Post by EcoPU Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:28 am

I find the new KYB's to be nice and smooth, not too stiff. The sears heavy duty shocks I replaced would compress in my hands and not rebound any longer, so I think my experience might be limited. I think I read from some various shops they like the build quality of the KYB internals vs Monroe. Could be 6 and 1 half dozen the other.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:29 pm