VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear

lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear Empty Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear

Post by lws67 Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:00 am

After doing some in depth research and checking dimensions I think I've found an easy source for gas charged shocks from the same manufacturer, same line, and color. The Monroe Monro-Matic Plus part# 31131 for the front is easily available as most know, but a matching rear is not shown by any vendor. The only one easily available is the Gabriel part# 81469, but it is red, and has to be ordered. There are lots of ones by Monroe that come close to fitting after some tweaking, typically the mountings are different. I was able to determine that a rear shock for 73-81 Jeep CJ5's are essentially a direct fit, bolt right on, no mods at all. The Dodge steel sleeves press nice and firmly into the shock bushings. The Monroe Monro-Matic Plus rear part# 32377 is what you want. Extended is 19.75" compressed is 12.65"  the rubber bushings are 5/8" IDx 1-5/16" OAL. Again, the steel sleeves press in and when bolted up fit perfect. $25.99 from O'Reillys or elsewhere. Many may have it in stock as it is for a popular make and model. Here's some pics of the 31131 fronts and 32377 rears next to some older Gabriel exact fit shocks I removed from my van.Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear Img_2013
    Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear Img_2011Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear Img_2012Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear Img_2014
    dirtbag69
    dirtbag69

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2015-07-18

Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear Empty Re: Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear

Post by dirtbag69 Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:54 pm

A lot of people are mounting discontinued Bilstein shocks for motorhomes/rialta/VW's on to the vans as they are stiff and give the van a great deal more stability (stock suspension being what it is). There are some basic mods that need to be done to put them on and they are super compressed. I am at work right now, but I will try to post more information on them when I get home.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear Empty Re: Matching Shock Absorbers For Front AND Rear

Post by OutofSight Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:54 pm

I used KYB shocks front and rear.
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:28 pm

Yup, there are actually plenty of shocks that will fit. I ended up looking at Monroes commercial shocks for classI I, II, and III vehicles that were close in specs, some heavy duty shocks, which are worth a look, but those specs led me to the rears for the CJ5's, I just wanted matching Monro-Matics with as close to the same mounting. That hard to find parts list on the yahoo group needs to be updated for sure, which is what I started out with. Economy to high end is available.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 pm