VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

HEI Install.

Viking
    Viking

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2012-03-07

HEI Install. Empty HEI Install.

Post by Viking Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to install my HEI Ignition on my new (well new to me) motor. I don't know where to start. The new motor has been torn down cleaned. I have no idea where to begin to install the unit. I guess I need to where to find TDC and how to set up the ignition in the correct firing order. Please help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

HEI Install. Empty Re: HEI Install.

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 am

It needs 12 volts to work so you need to bypass the ballast resistor,,,,,you line up the front pulley notch to the 0 degree mark on the timing cover tab,,,,,,,now that notch is both #1 and #6 cylinder,,,,,so find #1 compression stroke,,,,,,point the rotor like at the 11 oclock position with the glovebox being 12 oclock,,,,the rotor will jump to 12 oclock once it drops down,,,,put the vacuum advance someplace so you can turn it to adjust the timing,,,,look closely to see if the distributor is all the way down, you might have to crank or turn the engine to get the distributor go all the way down,,,,this is so the oil pump lines up,,,,put the cap on,,,,make #1 the wire at 11 oclock,,,,then 5 3 6 2 4 going clockwise,,, this is basically it,,,,,,
    Viking
    Viking

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2012-03-07

Post by Viking Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Ahh ok. Thanks for the info Donivan. Im hoping to get my new engine in soon. Thanks for answering that for me.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Come to EconoWest at the RoseBowl on April 13th and I will let you grab one of the wires on my van and you can see how good it works,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:45 pm