VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Clutch-linkage worn - need help!

Dingeldeins
    Dingeldeins

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Clutch-linkage worn - need help!  Empty Clutch-linkage worn - need help!

Post by Dingeldeins Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi everybody!
    The clutch was o.k. – it worked just fine. I took off the pedal to put some color to the underbody. Took the rod that leads to the clutch off too! Found out it was worn down to the half of it´s diameter on the connection. – Fixed that by welding and grinding!
    Clutch-linkage worn - need help!  Img-2015
    At the rear end of the rod – the clutch-linkage – or whatever this steeltube is called – I realized there´s huge lash – so I took this thing off too.
    Tons of really old grease and a piece of rubberhose came out off this tube. The tube is held by steelknobs that look like little puppets. They are worn too!
    Clutch-linkage worn - need help!  Img-2016
    Now I´m wondering what´s in this steeltube originally??? It must be something that reduces the wear between the two steel parts! What´s that little spring/ clamb for? Can anybody help?

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Clutch-linkage worn - need help!  Empty Re: Clutch-linkage worn - need help!

Post by dix Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 pm

the steel tube is called a z bar it should have a greese fitting on it on each end should have nylon bushings , the spring clip holds the threded rod (clutch adjustment) to the z bar the z bar is filled with greese. clean up the z bar soak it in gas or kero , and look for a threded hole either the fitting was removed of fell out. the bushings center the z bar on what would look like a steel ball bearing, i'll find the bushings and post it,

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm

take a look and see if you can find this in your neck of the woods, https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1966-74-a-b-e-body/transmission/clutch-.-z.bars-_-components
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 am

great stuff Dix, thanks for the info.

This is a task Im going to look at soon myself.
    Dingeldeins
    Dingeldeins

Post by Dingeldeins Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks Dix for the reply!!!
    No whole, no grease fitting on my z-bar. Looks like mine is 'homemade'.
    I still don´t understand, what the spring clip is for?!
    When I look at the parts in the link, You posted, I cannot see much aggreement to my parts. For example my ballstud frameside is not srewed to the ground, the levers on the z-bar look different scratch
    Clutch-linkage worn - need help!  Img-2017
    Next weekend, when I´m on the van again, I´ll take off the other ballstud an compare it with the part sold in the link.
    Now I check, if Yearone will ship to Germany!
    Thanks so far!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 pm

from what I see your z bar if factory they never made these to look nice, Most all ball studs were welded on the frame the other side bolted to the engine block And the factory made a lot of differnt z bars. the bushing are cut in half. you put the bushings around the ball stud side the z bar over it and same on the other side. Now on the z bar you have the steel plate welded to the tube it has a tab sticking out of it the clutch adjusting rod goes on there and the clip tucks between the tab and the adjusting rod, I used year one for the photo's they are expensive is there any mopar performance supply houses or dealers over there. but yes year one will ship to you over there.

Post by Dingeldeins Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks Dix!
    Found a Mopar Shop here in Germany Very Happy
    They sell all the articles I may need and the shipping is quite cheap!
    I even found new rubber pads for the pedals!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:22 pm

good to hear. let us know if you need help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:27 pm