VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Whats the hard parts?

Whats the hard parts? Empty Whats the hard parts?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Ok, so I'm looking for an old Econoline, and I've just been thinking about the process of restoring one.

What would you say are the difficult things to do when working on these old Ford Vans?

How about parts? Are a lot of parts still avialable? What are the difficult parts to locate that one might need? (ie... Glass, bumpers, suspension parts, chrome items, engine parts, etc...??....)

Thanks,
    Dale - Arizona
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Whats the hard parts? Empty Re: Whats the hard parts?

Post by sasktrini Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:15 pm

Down there, you should be able to find a solid Econoline. Parts show up all the time, as people seem to be more aware of parting them out at the end of their useful lives... I can still get engine parts (170 |6) in Saskatoon. I think Classic Inlines is in Arizona, and guys in California get speed parts and stuff for those old beasts from there. There are a couple places online that sell |6 parts.

Don't worry about "if" you can fix it up. I'm a computer programmer, with a hobby turning wrenches. These vans are simple in assembly. I decarbonized my engine, replaced all the gaskets and valve seals, and prettied it up! Gonna go hard on the bodywork in spring. Just go for it, and figure it out as you go.

Whats the hard parts? P8240003

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Dale, don't worry about parts. they are available, many times on ebay. If you need anything just ask here, one of us Econoheads will be able to point you in the right direction.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Good, it sounds like parts are still around. That makes life a whole bunch better. I have restored a few cars before and if parts are hard to find it makes it that much more work. I also like vintage Datsun vehicles and sometime parts for those are next to impossible to get.

One thing that looks hard on these vans is removing/installing the motor. I'm guessing I may want/need to go through the motor and wondering how hard it is to R&R. Do you guys go through the side door with a cherry picker? Getting it high enough to drop out the bottom would be a lot of work, as I dont have a hoist.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud again.... Heck I dont even have a van yet... LOL.

Dale - Arizona
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:49 pm

I think it would be kind of rough with the front axle to get the engine out through the basement,,,,but side doors or front doors will let the engine come out,,,,,

Whats the hard parts? Nodoor26

Whats the hard parts? Vanaga17

Whats the hard parts? Storag10
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:54 am

Dale, I do believe that the dog house on the Fords unbolts, like our Dodges making easier to replace and service the engine than the GM vans. From the pics I've seen on the Dodge engine replacements, they go thru the passenger door with a cherry picker.

I'm sure you can rent one cheap or there might just be a way cool vanner in your area that would love to lone you theirs or even give you a hand. Very Happy
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:25 am

Dale,
    Like most these guys have said. It's not hard through the pass door, just remove the pass seat and doghouse cover and remove your radiator first. Did mine alone in one afternoon with ease.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Whats the hard parts? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:54 am

Good, Good! That sound pretty do-able. Donivan65, thanks for the pictures. They were helpful. I have some friends that have a cherry picker so that souldn't be a problem. I think I'm gett'n the cart before the horse lol! I don't have the van yet.

I'll, worry about all that after I get one. I'm getting excited about a new project.

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale - Az

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 am