VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Want to build a pro touring 2nd gen Econoline

Want to build a pro touring 2nd gen Econoline Empty Want to build a pro touring 2nd gen Econoline

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:52 pm

I've got a few 2nd gen E200's that are all currently bone stock. One is a '73 solid blue chateau 123 E200 passenger that is in very nice original condition. I'm thinking about doing some pretty significant modifications to it in order to personalize it to my liking. The van is surprisingly nice with shiny original paint, great brightwork and near mint interior. I want to keep as much of the basic look of the van original as possible (paint, mirrors, trim, etc) while upgrading performance to modern specs. Doing it right the first time is my priority. My first goal is to lower the suspension and get the van to stop better.

The first thing I want to do is lower the van about 3" and convert the drums to 4 wheel disc brakes. I've read some of the great articles here showing a variety of disc brake conversion options. However, I have been considering using a set of DJM dream beams and they may allow the use of later model truck disc brakes. I'm obviously open to aftermarket parts and I plan on upgrading the wheels and tires. I will be upgrading wheels to 16" or 17" which should allow bigger rotor options.

Has anyone here tried the DJM or AIM setup on an E200? I can't get a straight answer out of either company. Are the OE beams the same for vans and trucks?

I have some good friends in the high-end suspension business and their strong advice is to gut the front chassis and build a real IFS. I may go that route. However, for now I am looking to get a 3" lower ride height with modern disc brakes. Combined with a nice set of sway bars and decent shocks I think it might work. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Want to build a pro touring 2nd gen Econoline Empty Re: Want to build a pro touring 2nd gen Econoline

Post by Vanish Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Want to build a pro touring 2nd gen Econoline Empty Re: Want to build a pro touring 2nd gen Econoline

Post by Buzzard Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Guy name dan t from High Rollin van club could help you out, there out of Waukegan ILL right on the boarder of ILL and Wisc. He knows mid fords inside and out
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 pm

I agree with the previous 2 posts, this site is about first gens and the other places will have more input.
    I will say that the twin I beam front suspension, while used for many years and with it's fans, always leaves me with the feeling that Ford was really stuck in the mud on that design. If you have the time, money and skills (or can provide more of one to make up for another), I'd suggest grabbing a wrecked 2WD explorer. Good front suspension with lots of aftermarket support, a disc brake rear axle and lots of other parts you can sell off or reuse in your van. You just need to check track width and figure out the steering.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate the leads and advice. My mistake for not realizing this was for the first generation fords only.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 am