VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

65 200 distributor & vacuum questions

65 200 distributor & vacuum questions Empty 65 200 distributor & vacuum questions

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 pm

My 65 pickup has a falcon 200 engine in it. The distributor has 2 vacuum pipe places on it and I m not sure if I have it on the correct one. I currently have it on the out port where you would usually put it but this leaves the one closer to the distributor blocked off.

Have I got it in the correct one?

Also when the truck is idling or being revved in neutral there is no suction on the vacuum pipe from the carb to advance the distributor.

Should there be vacuum when idling or revved in neutral?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

65 200 distributor & vacuum questions Empty Re: 65 200 distributor & vacuum questions

Post by RodStRace Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Is the engine properly tuned (dwell, timing, mixture)?
    Can you show a picture of the dist.?
    These engines were also used in Falcons and Mustangs. Lots of forums and info on these there.
    Normally, the ported vacuum was installed on the end of the vacuum advance. Manifold vacuum was connected to the rear (close to the cap) port.
    A 1965 wouldn't have any emissions stuff (66 was first year)... are you sure this is an original or correct replacement dist.?
    Many later engines had the dual diaphragm dist. installed.
    I just messed with a friend's 66 Mustang with a 170/200. It had the Single diaphragm!

65 200 distributor & vacuum questions Empty Re: 65 200 distributor & vacuum questions

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:52 pm

I'll try and get a picture of it. Its not been properly tuned the timing is set to 12 degrees and the mixture has been set by us. We dont have a dwell meter to check the dwell.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Green is vacuum advance pipe but there is no suction when idling or revving the engine in neutral. We have not checked for suction when driving.

[img]65 200 distributor & vacuum questions 100_4836[/img]
    [img]65 200 distributor & vacuum questions 100_4837[/img]
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:04 pm

organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 am

Have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to the carb port? There should be some type of vacuum there even if it's low. How does the engine run? We would need more info and history on it to steer you in the right direction.

OG

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 am

The truck runs great and has lots of power, we rebuilt the carb, new plugs and wires. It doesn't show any running problems except it runs a bit rough when cold using the choke, as soon as the choke is off it runs fine.

We tried sucking on the vacuum pipe to the distributor and nothing moves inside the distributor and the rod which moves the advance is stuck.

We will have to take another look at it and maybe remove to distributor for better access.

If we need a new distributor can we just use a regular single vacuum one from a 200ci engine?
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 pm

When I got my 64 it also had the duel vac dist. One is for advance and the other is for retard. You need the matching carb, and one hooks to port fitting and the other hooks to manifold fitting. I could not get mine right. I tried a new dist and still couldn't get it right, so I got a used electronic ignition dist, coil, and plugs from an 87 fairmont. Now it runs great. I've read that there is a kit for this dist. to improve it by changing springs inside, but haven't done that yet. But the $75.00 spent at the junk yard was well worth it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:34 am