VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
MikeShums
HandiVanMan
OldSkoolVannin
7 posters

Catalytic converter -Yes or No?

OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2011-11-19

Catalytic converter -Yes or No? Empty Catalytic converter -Yes or No?

Post by OldSkoolVannin Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:23 am

I just successfully replaced my exhaust. I was thinking about slipping a catalytic converter in between the manifold and muffler and could not find any posts regarding this. It seems like it should reduce the "nostalgic smell" you get from this age vehicle. Personally, I dont find this as important as others do as an important component to the overall experience of these vehicles. I installed a PCV valve allowing me to seal up the down tube which really helped the smell and somewhat assisting the performance. https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t26791-putting-a-pvc-valve-in-a-170. I would think the cat would too. I am just not sure if it affects flow or pressure (or anything else) negatively?

I am surprised i did not see any other posts about this. Does anyone have an opinion (silly question).

Cheers
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Catalytic converter -Yes or No? Empty Re: Catalytic converter -Yes or No?

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 am

No
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:05 am

Hell no.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:46 am

A catalytic converter can be retrofit onto any vehicle.
    However, let's look at what is needed, what the costs are and what the benefits are.
    NEEDED = You must tightly control the air/fuel ratio and engine temps. You must supply oxygen to the exhaust. You must design in protection from the heat of the unit. You must design in support for the weight of the unit.
    COSTS = A leaner carb can cost power, drivability and raise engine temps. EFI is going to cost a lot in time and money to get right. Raising engine temps will require better cooling system, better air flow and better insulation. Adding an air pump will require more underhood space, plumbing and raise exhaust temps. This means more doghouse heat, requiring even more heat work.
    The exhaust will require at least one more hanger and a heat shield above the converter.
    BENEFITS = the exhaust emissions will be lowered if all your design and work is correct. You will not have more MPG or power unless you swapped in a complete designed package of a late model engine with all the emissions equipment.

So, a PCV is the first step, and has good benefits for emissions, engine life and smell.
    Next is an EVAP system. Very little affect to performance, and if designed with used parts and some intelligence, will cost under a hundred bucks and stop the fuel smell when parked.
    After that, your level of design and costs go way up unless you swap in a known, proven design. Even then, it's going to be big money.
    Say you find a 1992 V8 van that runs well. It has PCV, EVAP, 3 way cats, O2 sensors, a PCM and the engine/trans bolt into your van. The cost is cheap and it doesn't require any major work or maintenance. You still have to do the swap, install a bunch of wiring and the computer along with a check engine light. Then reroute the exhaust so it has the same components the same distance from the engine, and the shields so the floor isn't overheated. Don't forget the fuel tank and EVAP equipment.
    Now everything is in place and connected from the engine fan back. Now all you need to do is provide a cooling system, air flow and insulation, plus access for service to the engine. This is the sort of thing required when doing smog legal engine swaps.

If you just buy one and install it in your old van without making provisions for the A/F mixture and feeding it oxygen, it will either overheat and cause a fire or plug up quickly.
    OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2011-11-19

Post by OldSkoolVannin Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 am

Awesome answers, short AND long. Knowing not to do it makes sense, knowing why is VERY helpful. So I am just staying with the PCV upgrade, which has definitely improved the vanning experience and in to further projects. More rust/dent removal, paint, motor mounts, fan shroud, windshield seal and ingnition switch replacement, recover or replace seats, finsh bed with spray on finish, etc.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:27 pm

IF YOU INSTALLED A PCV i BELEIVE THE ENGINE WOULD ALSO NEED A BREATHER IN THE VALVE COVER WERE THE OIL FILL CAP IS ON THE VALVE COVER . I INSTALLED A V8 AND HAVE A PCV ON ONE SIDE AND A BREATHER ON THE OTHER SIDE....

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Sorry for the caps...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:31 pm

I will 2nd tye HELL-NO , NO !! affraid
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 pm

im all for being green but NO

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:03 pm