VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
savage
wylee
Gothboy
Twinpilot001
dodge man
Scotts_A100
Nightmoves
Camaro Addict
dix
HandiVanMan
DanTheVanMan
RodStRace
16 posters

Rod's 8-Door!

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Rod's 8-Door! - Page 3 Empty Re: Rod's 8-Door!

Post by RodStRace Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:14 am

So the donor roof is off and I've straightened the edge. Just need to sand the underside of the lip and it will be ready.
    Still need to remove 2 sections of drip rail to replace the bad sections on the 8-door.
    Rod's 8-Door! - Page 3 IMG_2202_zpsc8e1ed89
    Rod's 8-Door! - Page 3 IMG_2203_zps7b608a95
    Rod's 8-Door! - Page 3 IMG_2201_zps23e02040
    Rod's 8-Door! - Page 3 IMG_2200_zps83c9c461
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:52 am

lookin good rod, i'll bet you cant wait to get the roof done,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:07 am

Lots of time spent there rod but that is going to be a easy sell when your finished. looking good.

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Rod after reading your most current update it got me to thinking about your 8 Door, have you by chance done anything with this project since your last update? Scott...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks for thinking of it, but no, it's sitting in the driveway, the roof is in the back yard.
    I want to get the 69 on the road, then back to the 8 door. Gotta get back into a class at the college so I have the facilities to work on it.
    edfields
    edfields

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2015-04-19

Post by edfields Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:26 am

Old post, but do you still happen to have the roof that you pulled off? Wondering if a section of it would be in good shape to replace an area on mine...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:01 pm

I do have both the old, damaged roof and the replacement.
    Obviously, I don't want to get rid of the replacement, but if you can use some/all of the old one, you can have it. I won't ship it though. Too big and heavy to mess with and it would have to be freighted.
    If you have a way to get it handed off or someone who can pick it up, let me know.
    Some friends are headed to Bakersfield this evening (2 hours), but the only way they could handle it is to strap it to the top of the stacker car trailer. No room inside, they have 2 race cars and an ATV inside.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:52 am

Rod,
    Thanks for all your pictures of the roof removal. That was so much work and it exposed views of how much corrosion can be hidden. I have to get repaired some front wind shield frame rust at the seams on both sides of my '65 window van. Your experience has helped me plan for what might be needed. Keep up your good work!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks, it's not a simple, quick process, but it's something most can do right if they are willing to see it through. Just laying some fiberglass over rusty holes will make it look better but won't fix the problem.
    This one is still being pushed aside for other more pressing projects. The 108 is sitting for now since the heater is not working and temps are dropping to below freezing overnight. Too cold for the 7 AM morning commute!
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Post by sweetvan Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:38 am

It seems to be a good candidate for a convertible or camper. How do you think you will do the rain gutters?
    On mine, I bought some 1"x2" box and cut it to length, then ripped it along two sides so that I had two, symmetrical L shaped lengths. That worked really well with the long side slipped under the roof. I had a welder spot weld it, make some rear corners and join the pieces. I fiberglassed and Bondoed the seams. I'm no pro and I just did it like I thought would work well. That was in '86 and now I'm prepping for another paint job.
    Best wishes on your van projects.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Quite a few other classmates mentioned doing a roll-back roof, but it would require still having the outer edge of the replacement roof PLUS a U gutter and guide for the support rails around the opening, PLUS cutting the roof ribs and reinforcement added.
    This is also a pretty rare van (they only made ~2100 V8 auto shorties of any style in 68), so I wanted to keep it stock bodied.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Post by sweetvan Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:54 am

sweetvan wrote:It seems to be a good candidate for a convertible or camper. How do you think you will do the rain gutters?
    On mine, I bought some 1"x2" box and cut it to length, then ripped it along two sides so that I had two, symmetrical "J" shaped lengths. That worked really well with the long side slipped under the roof. I had a welder spot weld it, make some rear corners and join the pieces. I fiberglassed and Bondoed the seams. I'm no pro and I just did it like I thought would work well. That was in '86 and now I'm prepping for another paint job.
    Best wishes on your van projects.

Just for clarification, I should have said "J" shaped lengths instead of "L" shaped.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:24 pm