VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
vanner68
m1dadio
Vanadian
Magic Bus
donivan65
eldo
10 posters

Window "bounces" down over bumps...

eldo
    eldo

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2011-09-20

Window "bounces" down over bumps... Empty Window "bounces" down over bumps...

Post by eldo Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:24 pm

So, lubed my window winding mechanism, now my window keeps opening 3-4" when I hit small bumps, and won't stay rolled down either, creeps up 1-2" when completely rolled down. Is there any way to tighten this mechanism up?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12245
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Window "bounces" down over bumps... Empty Re: Window "bounces" down over bumps...

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:39 pm

You could drill a hole in the backside of the shaft, tap or sheet metal screw it,,,add some kind of washers to put a drag on that shaft to keep the window from sinking,,,,,,

Window "bounces" down over bumps... Repai268
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Window "bounces" down over bumps... Empty Re: Window "bounces" down over bumps...

Post by Magic Bus Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:21 am

I thought that was normal for Chevys?.... lol!
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post by Vanadian Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Poormans FiX: I always found that you can pull the handle off change the the handle position so that gravity & natural force help keep them from vibrating down as easy. Sux sometimes though because the position in the earlies is right at knee level.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 am

buy a new set of "fuzzies" , that will hold the window in place.

m1D
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:20 am

Sounds like a good excuse to do the power window mod...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12245
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:05 am

,,,,a bungee cord on the handle is guaranteed to work,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:41 am

The spring is probably just weak with age, mine used drop four or five inches at a time. The guy I bought my van from had an aluminum clip from one of the inside door screws that clipped under the window handle. I eventually bought a Window Regulator from someone parting out a van.

I was told once that someone on www.VCVC.org rebuilds them, but I don't have a name for you.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Power windows is the way to go.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 pm

You should see mine go when I do bunny hops trying to get the front wheels off the ground. Don't get you hand in there or it will chop your fingers off.
    And speed bumps! there just comical; if I hit the right speed they go one way then return to where they were.
    M1D
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1048
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 pm

HandiVanMan, sounds like you've Done the conversion to power windows. What mechanism did you use? Out of what car? I'm in the middle of adapting a set from a Plymouth Voyager, but I'm not sold on it.

Thanks,
    Rich

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 am

Scott wrote:The spring is probably just weak with age, mine used drop four or five inches at a time. The guy I bought my van from had an aluminum clip from one of the inside door screws that clipped under the window handle. I eventually bought a Window Regulator from someone parting out a van.

I was told once that someone on www.VCVC.org rebuilds them, but I don't have a name for you.

Macsdoghhouse

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:15 am