VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

better to change to no window doors or fill window doors?

better to change to no window doors or fill window doors? Empty better to change to no window doors or fill window doors?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:45 pm

if one wanted a van with no side or rear windows what tends to be a better option to fill the cut outs in the window doors or find no widow doors?
    thanks
    ken
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

better to change to no window doors or fill window doors? Empty Re: better to change to no window doors or fill window doors?

Post by sasktrini Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:53 pm

better to change to no window doors or fill window doors? IMG_0179

I plan to swap a panel door on to this side. Rear doors are trickier to find, as they are punched for rear attachments like emblems. Side doors are the same size though.

If you did fill a window door, it's best to replace the entire skin from the bodyline up, all the way around the edges, so you will only hae one seam to hide instead of hiding the outline of the whole window.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

better to change to no window doors or fill window doors? Empty Re: better to change to no window doors or fill window doors?

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:22 pm

You got a bunch of choices and look at your rear and side doors and see how different they really are and see if you could modify either one of them to fit either place, you just might have some holes to fill or drill,,,,that will give you more choices ,,,,,,,,then you look for solid doors,,,,or even ones with rusted out bottoms with a good solid top and skin it like sasktrini said,,,,,,next is weld a piece of sheet metal over your window,,,,,,so maybe ask a body shop what they would charge for it and then make up your mine what is best for you,,,,,,and your wallet
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:40 pm

For me no side windows would be cool, but I like windows in the back doors just for the light. I do like the look of no windows. Finding no window doors is always hard so if your doors are in good shape. I would see what a body man wants to do the work like Donivan says
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Does anyone know if the welded plate repair looks good as a solid grafted on upper skin or a solid door?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:33 am

A repair like this needs to be done by a good body man to look right.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:40 am

This is an example of window van change over that wasn't quite finished.Having the door lines I would think makes it easier to hide the mod,
    The panel side however I bet would take alot more work to finish out right.
    better to change to no window doors or fill window doors? Mvc-0310
    It doesnt look that bad from 50 ft away.
    better to change to no window doors or fill window doors? Mvc-0410
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:56 am

sooo,,,,,,,,,,unless that repair is really good it will haunt you forever,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:01 pm

There is also an internal brace on the non window door that supports the sheetmetal where the window would be. It'll be alright without it, but will feel a little less solid I imagine.

I want to have no window doors on the side of my van too, but out of the 12 doors I have to choose from, there are only 4 usable ones. 3 window doors, 1 panel. Sad I'm thinking about filling in the window on the one door, but I'm afraid that it'll will haunt me forever like donivan65 says.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:10 pm

or you might end up paying body shops forever until you end up finding a good one. But what do you got to lose,,,,,,countersink some screws in a piece of sheetmetal on a test door ,,,,,slap some bondo,,,,,prime it ,,,,,see how it looks,,,,,then step it up from there,,,,,make changes if you don't like the looks,,,,,weld it in,,,,,or send it out,,,,,,, we sure would like to see some test runs,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 am