VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
HandiVanMan
Twinpilot001
G-Man
7 posters

Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict?

Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict? Empty Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 am

I just found this page, http://www.vintage-vans.com/dodge_vin.html that gives breakdown on vin's. The last 5 of mine are 151xx but it's titled as a 69 and 151xx classifies it as a 68. I do know this was a fleet vehicle and wondering if whoever had a 68 leftover and sold it as a 69 and pocketed the difference in price?? Anybody have any ideas on this? Thanks
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict? Empty Re: Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict?

Post by G-Man Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:37 am

Alot of times it may be your state

Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict? Empty Re: Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 am

I don't get what you mean? You sayin that the State screwed up, where and how??? Wouldn't surprise me though being the Left Coast.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 am

anythings Possivle-stste?? maybe -yet in the olden days all vehicles were (new ones-year models) released in september =like the 69's released in actually sept=68- some were titles as 68 or 69 depending when sold - yet should have been titled as whats on the origional MSO=Manfacturers statement of origin. Likely a typo or overlook by some agency doing the papers? Will it ever make any difference-? =Likely not
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 am

I have read that some of the vehicles produced later on in the production year was titled as the next year model.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:-yet in the olden days all vehicles were (new ones-year models) released in september =like the 69's released in actually sept=68- some were titles as 68 or 69 depending when sold - yet should have been titled as whats on the origional MSO=Manfacturers statement of origin. Likely a typo or overlook by some agency doing the papers? Will it ever make any difference-? =Likely not
    That I do know as I've been around awhile and remember those days. I know that you can get in big trouble for falseifying documents. Now weather this was done by the fleet Dept. or DMV, someone should be in deep kim-shee! Granted this is old news and I'm sure DMV doesn't care either way at this point, I would like to know that if it is wrong, it should be fixed for having a vehicle wrongly titled. Just kinda bums me out if it winds up being a 68 instead of a 9.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 am

If it is titled & tagged I would leave it at that. If it were to be titled wrong I think that you would go through a lot of Kim-Shee!!! Trying to get the DMV to correct it.it could also be possible that the DMV could revoke the registration on it.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:14 pm

HandiVanMan wrote:If it is titled & tagged I would leave it at that. If it were to be titled wrong I think that you would go through a lot of Kim-Shee!!! Trying to get the DMV to correct it.it could also be possible that the DMV could revoke the registration on it.
    Sorry, but I have to argue with you on that. If I walk in there with documentation showing that it's wrong esp. if the sequence number that's on this site is accurate and bring it to their attention, it should be corrected. No questions asked, if, and, or but's about it. I just got my new sticker, they try to revoke it, they'll have to answer in court cause I have 8 years of stickers that say that they allowed a wrongly titled/registered vehicle to be renewed. That my friend is not my fault.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Go for it but DMV doesn't make mistakes.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:33 pm

lol thats funny the last two econos I bought both had title not matching vin issues in both cases dmv had added a number to the title somewhere in the past. two different states. It was lots of fun getting them to correct there mistakes.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Yep cause they are never wrong lol!

If there's a mistake they always blame us!!!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm

back it the day i bought a used 8 ton 4 x 4 dump truck that was built in 74 and sold new in 76 so it was titled as a 76. . So my point is it can be a mistake made by the dealer as well. I really don't see any advantage to changing the title for one year. As far as todays cars if can be built in or after sept. and still is a next year's titlemeaning built sept. 2012 and is a 2013 car/truck.as long as you have the vin numbers you now what you have. Also someone may have stolen a van and took that vin tag off of it and installed it on your van....

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Yep that's why I would just leave it alone!!! I got a buddy that bought a 1978 Chevy 4X4 truck and it had been tagged & titled for years. When he went to tag & title it the police came & took it from him & that's what they claimed.
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Interesting Discovery, VIN & Title conflict? Empty title boo boo

Post by dodge A-108 Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:24 pm

69A100 wrote:I just found this page,  http://www.vintage-vans.com/dodge_vin.html that gives breakdown on vin's. The last 5 of mine are 151xx but it's titled as a 69 and 151xx classifies it as a 68. I do know this was a fleet vehicle and wondering if whoever had a 68 leftover and sold it as a 69 and pocketed the difference in price?? Anybody have any ideas on this? Thanks
    many times mfgrs BUILT it in 19xx . but it got sold and titled in 19xx. they weren't issued titles until they were SOLD.
    docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by docmcg Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:17 pm

I just went thru this exact scenario. My truck had been registered as a '61 of all things. Mine is actually a '65 model year. I went into DMV and explained the situation to them. They required me to bring the truck in for verification, which I did. They had older books and reference material to use and found out that my vin # was indeed a '65 model. They made all the neccessary corrections right then and there, less than 20 minutes, in and out. I know, the DMV can be a real PITA, but if you work with them, as I did, they will make it right.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:11 pm