VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Time for discovery

blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Time for discovery Empty Time for discovery

Post by blackace Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:30 pm

In getting the garage cleaned up so I can take the old truck to work tomorrow, I thought I might just try and see if the paint on the truck could be make to look better. I can remember someone on here talking about rubbing out their paint to make it look better, but not perfect. I had not done anything as I have been waiting on the shop to get an open spot to do the body work. I do admire all you guys that can do the sheet metal work, just don't have that talent.

So started to rub out some paint, and low and behold, it does not look to bad. Got a nice shine started but there is sure alot left to do. Very Happy Here are some pics of how the door looked after alot of rubbing, some softscrub, and some liquid wax. sure not perfect, but will look alot better. I will post more pics as it get done.

Time for discovery A100-w10

Time for discovery A100-w11

Time for discovery Empty Re: Time for discovery

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:57 pm

That is all I did to my pickup. I have a cheapo ($14) walmart random orbit polisher that I use. It works great and you dont wear your arms out rubbing it all by hand.
    The more you buff the better it will look, just be careful because you can polish through the paint fairly easily.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:38 am

I am going to look at a cheap polisher as my arm was about dead after just the door.. Thanks for posting what you had done. What did you use to get the oxidation off to start with. I am sure that softscrub is not the best things but it works pretty quick when doing it by hand.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:55 am

I first used a very fine scotch brite pad and water to scrub off the rust staining and other crap that had settled on it in the last 40 or so years. I just went over it really lightly with very gentle scrubbing. Then I got some turtle wax scratch and swirl remover from Walmart also. It was like $1.97 for a tube and has worked good for me.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:49 am

heres the way- The older paints were usually enamel paints. Wash the vehicle 1st> dont worry about what u r washing it with(soaps) get it clean - get some polishing compound(id suggest the light compound) work a small area at a time -NOT IN THE SUN!!= continue till all the vehicle is done & Do Not concentrate on one area too much-compound will take you to bare metal when used too much!! You just want to remove the upper surface color thats dull in appearance. After your done - use a good polish- one with carnuba wax in it. takes lots of rags & buffer pads if using those - just keep after it till completed. You will be amazed at the difference. Or - you can do like us old guys do- take it to a detail shop / paint shop & have them do all the work!!=### Happy vannin
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:25 am

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I would love to take to a detail shop but don't have the extra money for it, and with wanting to get the body work done, don't want to put to much money into it, but would like to get it shined up and looking better. I got to thinking the last time it has had a bath, and I would put that at around 13 years ago, and a wax job would have to of been well beyond that, say 15 yrs or so. Plan on pulling it into the plant after today and working on it this afteroon. There is a local show for trucks tonight and would like to try and get it shined up for that. Will send pics when done.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 am

Just like a honeymoon= "GET HER = DONE!!
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:11 am

well Hum sunny Honeymoon seems like alot more fun and enjoyment then rubbing on the old truck, but know that the satification will be there lot longer with the truck.. cheers
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Well spent the day in garage scrubbing and waxing the old truck. Boy lots of work even with the polisher but sure like the results. Attached are the pics. Even tried to get some before and after ones.
    Time for discovery A-100_10
    When first picked up in 2008.

Time for discovery A100-p10
    Polished up and looking good.

Time for discovery A-100_11
    Front view - before

Time for discovery A100-p11
    Polished
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:52 pm

looks Great!!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:05 pm

That looks like the Anthony Wayne school next door? Could I be right?

Your truck is looking great.

Duane in Tennessee.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Why Duane, you are correct. Does that mean you are from this area or just have very good eyes?? Lady who owns it is trying to get me to buy it.. Just not sure what I would do with it.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Wow!!!! Looks great!!!! You really bought the color back
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:54 pm

I know that area all too well. I spent most of my youth there. I didn't go to Anthony Wayne school. I went to Franklin on the other side of town. I lived right behind you on Blaine street and then on Washington, and a few other places over the years. I have a lot of memories from that town.

Time for discovery Washingtonhouse-vi

This is the old Washington Street house. Looked bigger when I was a kid. LOL. We also had an open porch and grass in the yard. That was a long time ago.

Good luck with your truck. If I can ever help just let me know. I have an A-100 pickup I'm scrapping right now. It doesn't have much left on it but if you have some frame rust I might have a piece you need.

Duane in Tennessee.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:04 am

WOW Duane, what a small world. We like the town as it is not to big but still offers alot. Like the walking down the street and people know your name.

If you ever make it back up this way, look me up as I will always have a cold one for you.

As for parts, I am looking for one rim and what ever was used to hold the spare tire in the bed of the truck.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 pm

When I left that town I was young and couldn't wait to put my dent in the world. I couldn't find what I was looking for there. So off I went. I went back about three years ago for a quick visit. Now I can see the charm that town offers. I was blind when I was young. It was nice to visit but I think I'll stay in Tennessee. You can keep that lake effect snow. I had a 67 Plymouth I didn't see for three months one winter. I don't miss that at all!

Duane in Tennessee.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:03 pm