VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+16
Murdock
score602
OldSkoolVannin
Casimier
MikeShums
SuperJason
Big W
RodStRace
Rayallen
sasktrini
Linoman
Sy Hollinshead
Jazontyler
TBmain
66ThunderVan
EconoUSAparts
20 posters

Restoration Spec. Seals update

EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Restoration Spec. Seals update  Empty Restoration Spec. Seals update

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:18 pm

I called Restoration Specialties today and the owner claims he is ready to send me all 3 seals for the pop out windows for my approval before he proceeds with production. He says all 3 are done. He also says the front door seals(which I received prototypes of 8 months ago) have now been fitted with the wire pieces that help attach the seal to the door thru the little holes they pop into. I had the prototype door seals at Baker's last June and they seemed ok but without the wires it makes installation difficult. He says the cargo door seals will be done very soon also.
    The vent window seals are more complicated and they tried to do them but werent happy with the results so they had another company make them for them. Originally I was supposed to have a sample of it by December past,but that never happened. They had pricing issues and others with the other company which they say has been resolved now. New date for sample seal is by the end of March.
    This all sounds very promising but history with them tells me they haven't met a deadline yet. They say a week on me receiving the seals,I say at least a month but we will see. I hope for once Im wrong about this but it's now been almost 21 months since this venture started and they are at least a year past the expected production date of all the seals.

--
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Restoration Spec. Seals update  Empty Re: Restoration Spec. Seals update

Post by 66ThunderVan Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for your effort! I'm sure many on this site will be interested in these products.
    TBmain
    TBmain

Number of posts : 100
    Registration date : 2010-03-18

Post by TBmain Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks for the update,our vans going in for paint and body work and we will need all new seals when it comes back. Thanks Tim for working on the new seals.
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2011-12-29

Post by Jazontyler Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi, I'm new here, but it seems that some of these seals are available from Macs now? Why are you trying to source them? Quality issues?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Mac's gets their seals from Dennis Carpenter as do other companies. Most of Carpenter's seals are ok but the front door seals and vent windows are really bad. They also don't even make the 3 pop out window seals. After repeatedly asking Carpenter's to fix the flawed seals and being told they have no interest in doing so we pretty much had no choice but to look elsewhere. There are several other body seals that nobody makes that I'm hoping to get reproduced also.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Lets hope they come through with this. Mine is in desperate need of proper seals.
    The Previous owner spent a lot of money on all new seals from Macs, and they suck...!!!
    Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Post by Linoman Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks for sticking with this Tim. I know I'll be needing all new seals this year on the Super8, starting with pop-out windows so I really am hoping they are successful, & the prototypes meet your approval.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks Tim! Kinda hard to make your own rubber seals, less complicated to cut and weld steel or swap engines. These rubber parts will be a big deal. Unlike suspension bushings that you can find surrogates for, door and window seals are pretty specific.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Good to here, I will need some of these this year when I get around to painting.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Tim, any word on the A stuff?
    They were also supposed to do the wire in the front door seals and the vent window seals for those.
    I've been behind on my project, but they are even further behind!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Excellent work Tim...I to will be looking for seals in the next year or so and if they work as good as your hoping...I'm in.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:08 am

RodStRace wrote:Tim, any word on the A stuff?
    They were also supposed to do the wire in the front door seals and the vent window seals for those.
    I've been behind on my project, but they are even further behind!

Im not in the loop on any of the "A" stuff. I ll try and ask next time.
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks for heading-up this work, Tim! I'll be interested in the pop-out seals when they become available. Maybe some others too.
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Post by Jazontyler Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm

My door seals are bad, cracked and leaking. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the seals sold by Mac's? Do they not fit? Still leak? Just a pain to install?

Tim what is the ETA for the Econo door seals?

Thanks, JT
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

No firm eta on the new seals. Mac's get theirs from Carpenter's so does everyone else. The problem is the front door seals are made from too dense of rubber that doesnt have enuf give to it. Its too thick on the front edge and won't collapse like it should to form a good seal. A lot of folks cant even get their door to close without slamming it really hard,some causing damage when they do. The solution is to carve up a brand new seal just to make the door shut. For $100 bucks you shouldn't have to hack it up to make it fit.
    The vent rubbers are just poor fit period and make winodw operation extremely difficult when trying to close. The bottom edge doesnt fit right either.
    As for the 3 different popout window seals,nobody has ever made those until now.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 am

How bout the seal for the windshield, side and back door and the fixed windows?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 am

Gaunch wrote:How bout the seal for the windshield, side and back door and the fixed windows?

Most of those are ok but some report inconsistancies in those also as far as correct length which sometimes buckles in the corners due to being a little long or short.
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:02 pm

What is interesting is that I visited Fred a month or so ago and he is putting Ron's pickup back together. Fred had great success with new carpenter seals but he of course had the whole window apart in pieces and did have to modify and glue a little bit. Far from ideal, but I guess if you have all the parts loose in front of you and 30 years experience with these vans, it can be done.

Tim this is good information to hear. I thought this project died on the vine.

Mike
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:26 pm

I got the front door seals from MACs and Tim is right about them being too thick in some spots (I had to hack them up in a couple of spots)..
    Just not what I expected for $100.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:14 am

MikeShums wrote:What is interesting is that I visited Fred a month or so ago and he is putting Ron's pickup back together. Fred had great success with new carpenter seals but he of course had the whole window apart in pieces and did have to modify and glue a little bit. Far from ideal, but I guess if you have all the parts loose in front of you and 30 years experience with these vans, it can be done.

Tim this is good information to hear. I thought this project died on the vine.

Mike

Mike, Fred told me about that but he has no idea when those seals were obtained from Carpenter's. Ron could have got them a long time ago when they actually weren't as bad. He also could have got them off ebay from someone who had them a long time and never used them. Originally the seals werent as bad as they are now. Somewhere along the line the molds were either changed,worn out,warped or something but the new ones just aren't the same. The problems are way too common and if you put an NOS seal next to Carpenter's the problems with each seals is very obvious. There are several discrepancies with each seal. I actually did this to show Restoration Specialties the problem but they saw it themselves immediately upon inspection. They were actually very surprised Carpenter's would have even made the seal as different as they did from the original. The vent window is a very difficult one to make. Even Res.Spec. couldnt get it right so they are having a company with more capable tooling make that one seal for them. They dont want to release a new seal if it's no better than Carpenter's so they aren't rushing anything.

MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:27 am

A fair point.
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Post by Jazontyler Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Any updates on an ETA for the door seals? My currently leak like a 51 year old door seal. Smile
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 pm

I was told for the umpteenth time they were ready and being sent to me. AFter 4 weeks I called today and got the same dam speech as last time pretty much. These guys are just plain slow. Today they said they just need to bag em up and mark em then they can be sent out but a month ago everything was done and ready to ship. Hmmm,sounds a little fishy to me. Im not stupid,they tell ya what they want to stall til they get damn good and ready at their own slow pace. Guess I'll get em when I get em. I now one thing, I wont be as slow to ship things out as they are cuz they are ridiculous!!
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 am

you could walk over and get them quicker...do they still have the van shell that you gave them??
    OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2011-11-19

Post by OldSkoolVannin Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:13 am

Whenever these are ready, I'M IN!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:32 pm