VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Rochester Monojet carburetor???

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  - Page 3 Empty Re: Rochester Monojet carburetor???

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:07 am

That idea about pouring gas into the engine is not a very good one,,,,gas is dangerous,,,and your problem is not gas in the engine, it is gas in the carburetor,,,,you might just end up putting an adjustable pressure electric fuel pump on your van,,,,,that should easier to find ,,,it would fill the bowl as soon as you turned the key on,,,,,but I still like the idea of running tests and then finding the problem and then figuring out the solution,,,,,instead of guessing or just throwing parts at it and hope something fixes it,,,,
    kavesh
    kavesh

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  - Page 3 Empty Re: Rochester Monojet carburetor???

Post by kavesh Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:10 am

Donivan, I have done as you have suggested.

Started her up yesterday and got it warmed up and idling ok. Switched off and opened the top to see fuel level. It was fine, with the float out the level was about 3/4 up on the float bowl or perhaps a little higher than that. Thats fine I think.

Drained out all the fuel from the carb and then tried to start up, and she took a long time to start.
    I cranked the motor for a little while then opened up the top of the carb and had a look at the fuel level and yes it was very very low. It only had a little at the bottom of the bowl.

I assume that this suggests that the fuel pump is not pumping sufficient fuel into the carb.

Awaiting further steps...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:58 am

I think you got it narrowed down now,,,,,,the gas is going to evaporate since it is just sitting there ,,,, but the fuel pump is supposed to fill it back up whenever you crank the engine,,,,so maybe the fuel pump is going bad,,,,,maybe the camshaft lobe is worn out and it is not activating the fuel pump and even if you bought a new fuel pump, you would still have the same problem,,,,,,and then, maybe the line from the gas tank to the fuel pump is sucking in air and stops the fuel pump from pumping,,,,,,I take a little lawn mower gas tank and hook it to the inlet of the fuel pump to start engines or you can run a hose into a can of gas to eliminate the fuel line and gas tank and see if the carb gets it fuel now,,,,,and can you get a fuel pump out there? I am thinking, if you still have a hard starting problem after you hook gas up directly to the inlet of the fuel pump,,,,,then you got 2 choices,,,,buy a new fuel pump and HOPE it corrects your problem, or just buy a little universal electric fuel pump and put it in the fuel line between the fuel pump and tank,,,,,,,
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:51 am

Finding a replacement fuel pump will prove difficult. I think in the long nrun it may be a good idea to try and source an electric fuel pump
    Silly question will I need to worry about fuel pressure on an electric pump? Or will they be about the same.

Thanks for all the advice. i really do appreciate it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:14 pm

You will need the bare minimum pressure pump,,,,,probably a 2 to 5 psi one,,,,,too much pressure will flood out the engine,,,,,,and they do make pressure regulators to cut the pressure down if needed,,,,and the more expensive pumps would have an adjustment knob that regulates the pressure as needed,,,,,and the hot rod shops, like this Speedway Motors, have universal pumps,,,,,what is the most common vehicle out there by you? Surely not Early Chevy Vans?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Electric-4-7-PSI-Fuel-Pump,1638.html
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Your van would probably be happiest with 4 psi fuel pressure so get the closest one to it,,,,,and here is more pumps so you can get an idea of what you are looking for,,,,

http://www.lowpressurefuelpumps.com/lowpressurefuelpumps.htm
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:17 pm

Well I finally got around to fixing the problem with my carburetor. Turned out to be a vacuum leak like don suspected. The vacuum hose coming from the intake going to the check valve in the valve cover was broke right at the valve & the hose clamp had it all held togather. Once I put a new hose on it she fired right up & idles perfect.
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Glad you came right there Handivan.

I still have not found a electric pump for mine. More through not having the time as yet, rather than not being able to find one.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:20 am

You can buy a manual or electric pump on eBay. Most sellers ship internationally.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:49 pm