VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Rochester Monojet carburetor???

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Empty Rochester Monojet carburetor???

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:37 pm

I have a 1969 Chevy van with a 250 6 cly engine in t
    It. The Rochester carb on the engine is overloading. It has a flat screw on the top of the carb that I don't know if it is for adjusting something or what but it is loose and won't tighten up. The van had been sitting in storage since 2004 & had not been run. I got it running but when I crank it up it pours gas out of the top where the big flat screw is. My question is that is the screw on it supposed to tighten. I took the top off of the carb & the screw looks like it is maybe has something to do with the float but I am not sure.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Empty Re: Rochester Monojet carburetor???

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:45 pm

That is the idle bowl vent,,,,,,it needs to be open .050 at idle,,,,,,if gas is coming up through it,,,,you have a needle, seat or float problem,,,,,pinch off the rubber fuel hose and run the engine until it dies,,,,,unpinch the hose,,,,see if carb still floods,,,,,tap on cab near inlet line,,,,see if it stops flooding,,,,,

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Repai182

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:29 pm

donavan you make vanning a lot easier with all of your knowledge....keep up the good work.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:39 pm

I just like to fix stuff,,,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info donivan65 I ordered a rebuild kit for it this morning. I am going it rebuild it I have never had any experience with these carburertors so I just wanted to ask about the screw to make sure it was not supposed to tighten up.... Once again thanks for all of the advice & help that you always give all of us....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Go for it,,,,,,we can help you out if you run into any problems,,,,,,

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Monoje10
    kavesh
    kavesh

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post by kavesh Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 am

I have the same carb on my chev 250 straight 6 motor.

I recently rebuilt the carb, cleaned out everything and it seems to work fine. My only problem is that when she stands for a few days it really battes to start up, even with a functioning automatic choke.

any ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:37 am

There are 2 possible things that it could be. One is the diaphragm in the fuel pump is bad causing it to leak back down & lose its prime & the other one is that the rubber hoses are dry rotted and are causing the fuel pump to lose its prime. There could also be a very slim chance that the metal gas line could have rusted pin holes in it but if it did you would probaly see or smell gas in that case. I had the same problem with my 69 Chevy van & it turned out to be the rubber gas hoses on it. The rubber gas hoses are kinda a pain to replace cause one is in front of the gas tank & you have to drop the tank to replace it & the other one is up front moumted on the body close to the fuel pump.
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:49 am

Thanks for the reply.
    All my fuel pipes are metal and no they are not pitted and no holes as i'm not smelling any fuel. Where there are rubber fuel hoses, these are all new.

Interesting comment about the fuel pump. I never would have thought about that.

After a few days standing I opened the top of the carb to see if there was fuel in teh float chamber and it was very low, like it evaporated of drained out...to teh fuel pump and back to the tank Shocked
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:10 am

I would check all of the lines & hoses & make sure they are tight cause if they are just barely loose you can have that problem. Now there are actually 3 rubber gas hoses as I think of it now or atleast there is on my 69 Chevy van. There is one coming from the tank that none ts to a fuel filter that I forgot to mention. If your van has a fuel filter in the back coming from the tank & it has not been replaced it might be your problem. I also remember someone saying that there is a gasket or something in the carb that can cause the carb to lose its prime. I think that it might of been Donivan65 but I am not for sure. Maybe someone will give more advise on what it might be.
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:23 am

I recently had teh truck restored so everything was out. The hoses at the tank are fine and no there is no filter there.

I actually installed an in line filter just before the fuel pump.

The problem is very frustrating. Really dont' want to stuff up my starter trying to get it to take after standing for a week.

Everyday start is no problem. But I do not start it everyday. Its my classic drive reserved for the Sunday morning cruze.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 am

I under stand your frustration I had the same frustration before I finnaly figured out my problem. If I didn't crank up my van every day I would have to prime the carb with gas to finnaly get it cranked. Good luck on solving your problem.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Empty Saelant

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 am

OK BOYS!! Heres the fix for the gas leaking out of any=any!! Rochester card for ya.@ or 4bbl even the quadrajets- In the manfacturing process -they machined / drilled all the passeges & sealed the bottoms of those with a lead. pull them bach apart & look - you will see these areas. You need to find a product called "Gasoila" comes in a small metal can with a brush. with carb apart- loghtly=LIGHTLY smear some of that over those areas of lead-let dry & put back together. Just make sure that before you do that you have claebed that same area with some carb cleaner or brake cleen/ start fluid. Then put the stuff on .If you have trouble finding that stuff - id try NAPA 1st. then an OMC marine dealer. Mercury marine used it also =all under their usual names - yet was always labeled as above-gasoila. The lead areas of seals - over time & vibration will leak fuel out & thence -a no fuel to start condition. Be sure if you get a can= close it very tightly as it will evaporate on you badly over time . a can of that stuff will last you a lifetime too.Happy vannin http://www.gasoila.com/ Its the Hard Set sealant u need
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 am

Which choke set up do you have? Is it working and adjusted correctly? Do you have points in the distributor,,,,,are they working and adjusted correctly?
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Yes the choke is working correctly. Its the coil spring type that bolts on the manifold. No I do not have points or condensor. i have the original distributor but the electronic kit for it. By the way, even with the points in it did the same thing.

I shall have a look for this seal in the carb. Damn, will have to pull it apart in order to find it, but rather get it sorted once and for all. I wonder if that product is available in South Africa.
    So would I be able to notice that the gas has leaked out or would it leak internally into the motor. There are no signs of leaks on the float bowl.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 pm

So does it act any different if you take the air cleaner off and hold the choke closed with your finger? And what is problem,,,,,it just cranks and won't fire up at all or fires up and dies after it sits for a week?
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:43 pm

With air cleaner on or off same story.

Once she fires up all is fine.

The problem is that standing for a week and she struggles to fire up. I would love to get that fixed as I really don't want to ruin my starter motor cranking to get her to start up.

Like i mentioned before, if I start up daily it fires up after following this start up procedure, pump the pedal 3 times, hold pedal half way down and crank motor and she starts up first time.

Leave it standing for a week and the pedal is pumped many more times and motor cranked 4 times. Each crank for about 10 seconds each...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 am

Maybe the carburetor is leaking,,,,maybe the gas is just evaporating,,,,,but you need to check the choke 1st,,,,,,there is a flapper inside the carburetor that has to close ALL THE WAY for the engine to start, then that flapper has to open 1/8" to allow air in so the engine will run,,,,so the 1st test is to make sure the flapper is closed before and during the time that you are cranking the engine,,,,,hold it closed to stop air from going into the carburetor if you have to and see if the engine starts better,,,,,it is just a test to see if the choke circuit is causing your problem.

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Repai197

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Repai198
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Ok will give it a bash and let you know. Will only try it in a few days though as the van was driven yesterday and will start up with no issues today.
    kavesh
    kavesh

Post by kavesh Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Ok had a look at the choke operation and all seems fine. It closes completely during the startup.

Why would the fuel be evapourating or leaking?.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 am

Maybe you should tear it apart & check the gaskets & make sure the bottom bowl gasket is on right. I took mine back apart and as don had said I did Infact have it on backwards. I am still having problems with my carb not idling & don has suggested that it is probaly sucking air & I think that he is right on that to. I hope to figure out my problem soon & hope that you do to. Just keep plugging at it & eventually you will figure it out as I am sure I will to.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 am

Might re-read my post on page 1?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 am

If there was a lot of scraping done T.P. could be right. The gaskets on my carb popped right off & I had to do very little scraping on mine hardly none.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Ok,,,,,,,I filled a MonoJet up with water to take some pictures for you,,,,,,If you shut off the engine and take the top and float off, the gas level should be about 1/8" ABOVE that slot that lets the gas flow into the accelerator pump section,,,,and that is about 1/2" of gas sitting in the bowl,,,,and you can fill that bowl with gas right up to the top of the seat and watch if it goes down any over a couple of days,,,,that bowl should hold gas and not leak down,,,,so make sure that the gas level is correct when you pull the float out,,,,,the gas will evaporate eventually anyways, it is just sitting there,,,and take the fuel line off the carb before starting it,,,,disable the spark and crank the engine see if the fuel pump is actually pumping fuel right away because it should fill that carb pretty fast EVEN if the carb is dry,,,,it's just another test.....and that Damn gasket,,,,it will go on backwards and upside down and they give you 2 different types in a kit,,,,,so the odds are 7 to 1 that you won't get it on right and then the carb won't idle.....

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Repai199

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Repai200

Rochester Monojet carburetor???  Repai201
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:08 pm

My gasket was upside down or backwards just as you said don. I did put it back in the right way when I found out that it was on wrong. I have been sick with bronchitis for a couple of weeks so I haven't got to check the carb to see if it is sucking air as you said that it probaly is. The studs in the intake are short and don't give hardly no space left to really torque it down at all so I think that you are exactly right about it . I hope to get to check it when I get feeling better. I am going to take the studs out of the intake and install some new longer ones & torque the nuts down good then check it out. As for kevesh's problem I think that the diaphragm could be bad in the fuel pump causing it to lose its prime when it sets a few days. I have had the same problem with a few vehicles & one of them my 1969 GMC Van so just sayin there could be a chance that that is the problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:58 am